Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
With Brian Williams done for the season Oklahoma State senior wing Jéan-Paul Olukemi will be a key figure for the Cowboys this season on both ends of the floor.
But as a result of a left knee injury he suffered in the first half of the Cowboys’ game against Akron at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off fans of the program may be a bit nervous.
The injury occurred in the final minute of the first half on a drive to the basket and according to ESPN announcer Doug Sherman, Olukemi was on the bench with ice on his left knee during the second half.
There’s been no word on the severity of the injury yet, but according to the Daily O’Collegian head coach Travis Ford said on his postgame radio show that “it doesn’t look good for J.P. right now.”
Olukemi received a full year of eligibility this season after it was feared that junior college courses taken during his high school years started his five-year “clock” and would in turn end his Cowboy career.
After leading by as many as nine in the second half, the Cowboys eventually needed overtime to beat the Zips 69-65.
Le’Bryan Nash led the way with 18 points and seven rebounds, and freshman Marcus Smart tallied 16 points and a team-high nine rebounds for the Cowboys. Also of note was freshman guard Phil Forte, who scored six of his eight points in overtime.
Oklahoma State will play the winner of Tennessee/UNC Asheville in the semifinals on Friday.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)