Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
With Brian Williams done for the season Oklahoma State senior wing Jéan-Paul Olukemi will be a key figure for the Cowboys this season on both ends of the floor.
But as a result of a left knee injury he suffered in the first half of the Cowboys’ game against Akron at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off fans of the program may be a bit nervous.
The injury occurred in the final minute of the first half on a drive to the basket and according to ESPN announcer Doug Sherman, Olukemi was on the bench with ice on his left knee during the second half.
There’s been no word on the severity of the injury yet, but according to the Daily O’Collegian head coach Travis Ford said on his postgame radio show that “it doesn’t look good for J.P. right now.”
Olukemi received a full year of eligibility this season after it was feared that junior college courses taken during his high school years started his five-year “clock” and would in turn end his Cowboy career.
After leading by as many as nine in the second half, the Cowboys eventually needed overtime to beat the Zips 69-65.
Le’Bryan Nash led the way with 18 points and seven rebounds, and freshman Marcus Smart tallied 16 points and a team-high nine rebounds for the Cowboys. Also of note was freshman guard Phil Forte, who scored six of his eight points in overtime.
Oklahoma State will play the winner of Tennessee/UNC Asheville in the semifinals on Friday.
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)