Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
With Brian Williams done for the season Oklahoma State senior wing Jéan-Paul Olukemi will be a key figure for the Cowboys this season on both ends of the floor.
But as a result of a left knee injury he suffered in the first half of the Cowboys’ game against Akron at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off fans of the program may be a bit nervous.
The injury occurred in the final minute of the first half on a drive to the basket and according to ESPN announcer Doug Sherman, Olukemi was on the bench with ice on his left knee during the second half.
There’s been no word on the severity of the injury yet, but according to the Daily O’Collegian head coach Travis Ford said on his postgame radio show that “it doesn’t look good for J.P. right now.”
Olukemi received a full year of eligibility this season after it was feared that junior college courses taken during his high school years started his five-year “clock” and would in turn end his Cowboy career.
After leading by as many as nine in the second half, the Cowboys eventually needed overtime to beat the Zips 69-65.
Le’Bryan Nash led the way with 18 points and seven rebounds, and freshman Marcus Smart tallied 16 points and a team-high nine rebounds for the Cowboys. Also of note was freshman guard Phil Forte, who scored six of his eight points in overtime.
Oklahoma State will play the winner of Tennessee/UNC Asheville in the semifinals on Friday.
- adidas Unrivaled Camp Day 2: Chase Jeter outplays Carlton Bragg in a battle of five-star big men 0
- Five-star wing Brandon Ingram elevates his play during July 0
- CBT Quotables Part 1: Jawun Evans, Diamond Stone, Skal Labissiere and more 1
- LeBron James Skills Academy Day 2 Recap: Huntington Prep tandem enjoys productive Thursday 0
- adidas Unrivaled Day 1: Brandon Ingram gets the best of Jaylen Brown, Ray Smith hurts his knee 0
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 2 Recap: Derrick Jones puts on a show 1
- Five-star 2015 forward Henry Ellenson working to become a more versatile player 1
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Rashad McCants says there was never a relationship between him and Roy Williams (AUDIO) (9)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)
- Report: Naadir Tharpe to turn pro (3)