Nov 15, 2012, 12:03 PM EDT
With Brian Williams done for the season Oklahoma State senior wing Jéan-Paul Olukemi will be a key figure for the Cowboys this season on both ends of the floor.
But as a result of a left knee injury he suffered in the first half of the Cowboys’ game against Akron at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off fans of the program may be a bit nervous.
The injury occurred in the final minute of the first half on a drive to the basket and according to ESPN announcer Doug Sherman, Olukemi was on the bench with ice on his left knee during the second half.
There’s been no word on the severity of the injury yet, but according to the Daily O’Collegian head coach Travis Ford said on his postgame radio show that “it doesn’t look good for J.P. right now.”
Olukemi received a full year of eligibility this season after it was feared that junior college courses taken during his high school years started his five-year “clock” and would in turn end his Cowboy career.
After leading by as many as nine in the second half, the Cowboys eventually needed overtime to beat the Zips 69-65.
Le’Bryan Nash led the way with 18 points and seven rebounds, and freshman Marcus Smart tallied 16 points and a team-high nine rebounds for the Cowboys. Also of note was freshman guard Phil Forte, who scored six of his eight points in overtime.
Oklahoma State will play the winner of Tennessee/UNC Asheville in the semifinals on Friday.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)