Nov 16, 2012, 9:59 PM EST
Baylor center Brittney Griner saw her last-second shot bounce of the iron as time ran out, losing to No. 4 Stanford 71-69 Friday evening in Honolulu, as part of the Rainbow Wahine Classic.
The loss snapped Baylor’s remarkable 42 game-winning streak. The Bears went 40-0 last season, claiming a national championship. Baylor’s streak was the fifth-longest in women’s college basketball history.
Baylor’s last loss came against Texas A&M in the 2011 Elite Eight.
Stanford jumped out to a 14-point lead in the first half. Griner did all she could to bring Baylor back into the game, scoring 18 of her team-high 22 points in the second half.
This game was a rematch of April’s Final Four when the Bears defeated the Cardinal 59-47.
Four players scored in double-figures for Stanford, lead by Chiney Ogwumike’s team-high 18 points. Ogwumike scored a layup with under 30 seconds remaining to make it a two-possession game.
Stanford has made a habit of snapping lengthy winning streaks. On Dec. 31, 2010, Stanford put UConn’s record-breaking, 90 game-winning streak to an end with a 71-59 victory.
Griner and Baylor will look to snap the current one-game losing streak against Tennessee-Martin on Sunday.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)