Nov 16, 2012, 9:59 PM EDT
Baylor center Brittney Griner saw her last-second shot bounce of the iron as time ran out, losing to No. 4 Stanford 71-69 Friday evening in Honolulu, as part of the Rainbow Wahine Classic.
The loss snapped Baylor’s remarkable 42 game-winning streak. The Bears went 40-0 last season, claiming a national championship. Baylor’s streak was the fifth-longest in women’s college basketball history.
Baylor’s last loss came against Texas A&M in the 2011 Elite Eight.
Stanford jumped out to a 14-point lead in the first half. Griner did all she could to bring Baylor back into the game, scoring 18 of her team-high 22 points in the second half.
This game was a rematch of April’s Final Four when the Bears defeated the Cardinal 59-47.
Four players scored in double-figures for Stanford, lead by Chiney Ogwumike’s team-high 18 points. Ogwumike scored a layup with under 30 seconds remaining to make it a two-possession game.
Stanford has made a habit of snapping lengthy winning streaks. On Dec. 31, 2010, Stanford put UConn’s record-breaking, 90 game-winning streak to an end with a 71-59 victory.
Griner and Baylor will look to snap the current one-game losing streak against Tennessee-Martin on Sunday.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)