Nov 16, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin will have one more player at his disposal today when the Red Storm take on Murray State in the semifinals of the Charleston Classic on Friday, as junior wing Marco Bourgault has been ruled eligible by the NCAA.
The news was first reported by The Torch, which is the student newspaper at St. John’s, and Bourgault was reportedly in class when he received the good news.
A student at St. John’s gave a first hand account of what he saw transpire in his Tuesday morning class in Sullivan Hall around 10:50 am.
“He raised his hand during class, stated he had been cleared and that he needed to leave immediately,” the student said. “He said he needed to get to South Carolina.”
Bourgault being cleared pushes the number of available scholarship players for the Red Storm to nine, with the staff looking to redshirt senior power forward God’sgift Achiuwa and still awaiting word on the status of forward Orlando Sanchez.
Texas A&M transfer Jamal Branch will become eligible for game action at the end of the fall semester.
Bourgault and Sanchez both attended Monroe College (NY) last season, with the Saint-Malo, France native averaging 10.8 points per game. Bourgault is a very good perimeter shooter as he knocked down 42% of his shots from deep at Monroe in 2011-12. And he’ll fit in with the Red Storm given the number of slashers at Lavin’s disposal.
The match-up with Murray State isn’t scheduled to tip until 5:30 PM EST, and according to Marc Raimondi of the New York Post Bourgault is expected to arrive in Charleston at around 4 PM EST.
Photo credit: St. John’s University
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 0
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)