Nov 16, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
Just three games into the season, first year TCU head coach Trent Johnson is faced with the prospect of possibly losing a second player for the season due to a knee injury.
Just 12 seconds into the Horned Frogs’ game against rival SMU on Thursday night, junior forward Amric Fields went down with a right knee injury. By the sound of it this was an injury of the non-contact variety, so even with an MRI yet to be performed they’re fearing the worst in Fort Worth.
If Fields were to be lost for the season he would join freshman center Aaron Durley as players TCU has lost due to a knee injury. Durley tore his ACL during the first week of practice and was expected to factor into the Horned Frogs’ rotation.
“One of the things about Amric is that when he gets hurt, he’s not one of those guys who’s just going to lay on the floor,” said Johnson following TCU’s 64-61 loss. “It’s interesting, you know there’s Aaron Durley, and basically he goes down after a day off and a three-man weave with no contact, and then here’s Amric, he cuts across the floor on a shuffle cut and there’s no contact and he goes down. What I feel for is you’re talking about two great kids. ”
Fields, a 6-9 forward from Oklahoma City, averaged 9.6 points and 2.5 rebounds per game ans was named Mountain West Sixth Man of the Year last season. Fields moved into the starting lineup this season, and with the Horned Frogs having to replace three of their top five scorers he was a key figure in their first season in the Big 12.
With Fields out even more will be asked of senior wing Garlon Green, who averaged 9.9 points and 3.7 rebounds per contest last season. Through three games Green is averaging 11.3 points and 6.7 rebounds, leading the team in both categories.
“I came out with the mindset of being aggressive with Amric there or not there,” said Green. “Obviously, we kind of needed someone to step up as a leader, but I didn’t get the job done, so [my performance is] nothing to brag about.”
TCU’s next game is on Sunday afternoon, when the host Prairie View A&M.
Quotes courtesy of TCU Athletics
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)