Nov 16, 2012, 9:53 AM EST
Just three games into the season, first year TCU head coach Trent Johnson is faced with the prospect of possibly losing a second player for the season due to a knee injury.
Just 12 seconds into the Horned Frogs’ game against rival SMU on Thursday night, junior forward Amric Fields went down with a right knee injury. By the sound of it this was an injury of the non-contact variety, so even with an MRI yet to be performed they’re fearing the worst in Fort Worth.
If Fields were to be lost for the season he would join freshman center Aaron Durley as players TCU has lost due to a knee injury. Durley tore his ACL during the first week of practice and was expected to factor into the Horned Frogs’ rotation.
“One of the things about Amric is that when he gets hurt, he’s not one of those guys who’s just going to lay on the floor,” said Johnson following TCU’s 64-61 loss. “It’s interesting, you know there’s Aaron Durley, and basically he goes down after a day off and a three-man weave with no contact, and then here’s Amric, he cuts across the floor on a shuffle cut and there’s no contact and he goes down. What I feel for is you’re talking about two great kids. ”
Fields, a 6-9 forward from Oklahoma City, averaged 9.6 points and 2.5 rebounds per game ans was named Mountain West Sixth Man of the Year last season. Fields moved into the starting lineup this season, and with the Horned Frogs having to replace three of their top five scorers he was a key figure in their first season in the Big 12.
With Fields out even more will be asked of senior wing Garlon Green, who averaged 9.9 points and 3.7 rebounds per contest last season. Through three games Green is averaging 11.3 points and 6.7 rebounds, leading the team in both categories.
“I came out with the mindset of being aggressive with Amric there or not there,” said Green. “Obviously, we kind of needed someone to step up as a leader, but I didn’t get the job done, so [my performance is] nothing to brag about.”
TCU’s next game is on Sunday afternoon, when the host Prairie View A&M.
Quotes courtesy of TCU Athletics
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)