Nov 17, 2012, 12:30 AM EDT
The early signing period began on Wednesday and for several top 2013 recruits, their decisions were made Friday night.
Kennedy Meeks (West Charlotte High/Charlotte, NC) decided to stick in-state and committed to North Carolina. The 6-foot-9 Meeks joins point guard Nate Britt (Oak Hill/Washington DC) and power forward Isaiah Hicks (Webb High/Oxford, NC) as part of Roy Williams’ 2013 class.
Meeks has great size and is a big man that should control the glass at Chapel Hill. He’s unlike some of the more recent Tar Heel bigs like Tyler Zeller or John Henson. He isn’t very athletic, but can develop into a good low-post player. Also a gifted passer for a big man. Meeks picked UNC over Georgetown.
Another center, Beejay Anya (DeMatha Catholic/Gaithersburg, MD) committed to the only team on his list, N.C. State over several other schools. The 6-foot-9 Anya, had recently cut his list down to just the Wolfpack and Indiana. However Tom Crean wanted to focus solely on landing Noah Vonleh.
Anya and power forward Kyle Washington (Brewster Academy/Champlin, MN) give Mark Gottfried a solid frontcourt to work with next year, along with point guard Anthony Barber (Hampton High/Hampton, VA).
Tyler Roberson (Roselle Catholic High/Union, NJ) made Syracuse’s recruiting class even more impressive on Friday. The 6-foot-7 forward joins guards Tyler Ennis (St. Benedict’s/Brampton, Ont., CA) and Ron Patterson (Brewster Academy/Indianapolis, IN), as well as big men B.J. Johnson (Lower Merion High/Ardmore, PA) and Chinoso Obokoh (Bishop Kearney High/Rochester, NY).
Roberson brings another long, athletic, versatile forward, Jim Boeheim continues to plug into his 2-3 zone.
Shooting guard Isaac Hamilton (Saint John Bosco High/Los Angeles, CA) picked UTEP over San Diego State, UCLA, and UNLV, according to ESPN. Hamilton is a consensus top-25 recruit in the Class of 2013.
Miners get a big-time commit. The 6-foot-5 Hamilton gives UTEP an impact freshman for next season.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 0
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)