Nov 18, 2012, 11:43 PM EST
You like the current trend of flat tops on college players? Get a whiff of history, my friends.
Two of basketball’s greatest historical flat tops were inducted into the Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in Kansas City today, as Georgetown’s Patrick Ewing and Clyde Lovellette of Kansas headlined a distinguished class of ten inductees.
Joining Ewing and Lovellette were North Carolina’s Phil Ford, Willis Reed from Grambling St., Earl “The Pearl” Monroe from Winston-Salem State and Kenny Sailors of Wyoming. Two coaches were also included: Kentucky’s Joe B. Hall and Dave Robbins of Virginia Union.
Ewing led Georgetown to a national title in 1984. Lovellette got his with Kansas in 1952. Ford won the Wooden Award in 1978. Monroe was a DII national champion, Reed earned an NAIA title. Sailors is credited with popularizing the jump shot and gave Wyoming a title in 1943.
Joe B. Hall is well-known as one of Kentucky’s greatest coaches, but Robbins might be a bit of a cipher to most fans of the game. He coached the DII Virginia Union Panthers from 1978 to 2008, winning three DII national titles and mentoring future pros Charles Oakley and Ben Wallace.
Player, businessman, announcer and athletic director Joe Dean and NCAA marketing whiz Jim Host were inducted as contributors to the game.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)