Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Deonte Burton has pretty good timing.
Not only did he score his 1,000th point Saturday night, but it came on a three-pointer with two seconds remaining, giving the Wolfpack a 71-69 victory over Green Bay in the World Vision Classic in Reno.
“I just had to come through for my team,” said Burton, as reported by RGJ.com. “It was my fault at the end when the big guy got the 3 at the end, so I had to make up for it.
“I had a feeling when I released it. It felt good.”
He now becomes the 23rd player in Nevada history to reach the 1,000-point mark, joining the club in dramatic fashion. Nevada now improves to 2-1 on the season.
“I almost had a heart attack,” Nevada coach David Carter said, as reported by the paper. “I had a timeout left. It was one of those situations where coaches sometimes overthink, call a timeout and want to draw up a play.
“Deonte’s been in that situation before. I’ve got a lot of trust in him. … He’s done it more times than anyone I’ve seen since I’ve been here to be honest with you. Maybe we’re playing too many close games.”
Nevada returns to the court Sunday against Southern Utah.
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)