Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
Deonte Burton has pretty good timing.
Not only did he score his 1,000th point Saturday night, but it came on a three-pointer with two seconds remaining, giving the Wolfpack a 71-69 victory over Green Bay in the World Vision Classic in Reno.
“I just had to come through for my team,” said Burton, as reported by RGJ.com. “It was my fault at the end when the big guy got the 3 at the end, so I had to make up for it.
“I had a feeling when I released it. It felt good.”
He now becomes the 23rd player in Nevada history to reach the 1,000-point mark, joining the club in dramatic fashion. Nevada now improves to 2-1 on the season.
“I almost had a heart attack,” Nevada coach David Carter said, as reported by the paper. “I had a timeout left. It was one of those situations where coaches sometimes overthink, call a timeout and want to draw up a play.
“Deonte’s been in that situation before. I’ve got a lot of trust in him. … He’s done it more times than anyone I’ve seen since I’ve been here to be honest with you. Maybe we’re playing too many close games.”
Nevada returns to the court Sunday against Southern Utah.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)