Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Deonte Burton has pretty good timing.
Not only did he score his 1,000th point Saturday night, but it came on a three-pointer with two seconds remaining, giving the Wolfpack a 71-69 victory over Green Bay in the World Vision Classic in Reno.
“I just had to come through for my team,” said Burton, as reported by RGJ.com. “It was my fault at the end when the big guy got the 3 at the end, so I had to make up for it.
“I had a feeling when I released it. It felt good.”
He now becomes the 23rd player in Nevada history to reach the 1,000-point mark, joining the club in dramatic fashion. Nevada now improves to 2-1 on the season.
“I almost had a heart attack,” Nevada coach David Carter said, as reported by the paper. “I had a timeout left. It was one of those situations where coaches sometimes overthink, call a timeout and want to draw up a play.
“Deonte’s been in that situation before. I’ve got a lot of trust in him. … He’s done it more times than anyone I’ve seen since I’ve been here to be honest with you. Maybe we’re playing too many close games.”
Nevada returns to the court Sunday against Southern Utah.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Beyond the glitz and glamour of the highest levels of AAU basketball are kids fighting to land one of a few coveted scholarships.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The procedure wasn’t know until Agau took to social media.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Richard Pitino likes that he can feed his players now.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Wisconsin got some pretty cool rings for making the Final Four.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
After tearing his ACL less than a year ago, Harry Giles looks healthy and prepared to battle for No. 1 in the Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins will be working with pros this summer.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Seven thoughts are a weekend at AAU Nationals and Super Showcase in Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Haley is the first member of Washington’s 2016 recruiting class.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Our Raphielle Johnson spent five days at the tournaments out in Vegas last week. Here are his thoughts on them.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Miami of Ohio assistant coach Trey Meyer is a native of North Augusta and grew up working, playing and coaching at Peach Jam.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:36 PM EDT
The scary part? The rising junior’s game is finally starting to develop.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Izundu played very limited minutes as a sophomore
Jul 28, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Want to guess how much they spend on planes for recruiting?
Jul 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The best of the best from the final week of the July live evaluation period from Las Vegas and Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
Thon Maker won’t be on the team either, but it is loaded with former college stars.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Skal Labissiere may want to go to Europe. That does not mean Europe wants him.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Despite not being included among the five official visits, Indiana and UNLV remain options for Zimmerman.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Nearly three months after breaking a backboard during a pickup game, the rising junior took out another one this weekend.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Chase Jeter is down to Arizona, Duke, UCLA and UNLV.
Jul 27, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Ray Smith tore his ACL earlier this month.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)