Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Deonte Burton has pretty good timing.
Not only did he score his 1,000th point Saturday night, but it came on a three-pointer with two seconds remaining, giving the Wolfpack a 71-69 victory over Green Bay in the World Vision Classic in Reno.
“I just had to come through for my team,” said Burton, as reported by RGJ.com. “It was my fault at the end when the big guy got the 3 at the end, so I had to make up for it.
“I had a feeling when I released it. It felt good.”
He now becomes the 23rd player in Nevada history to reach the 1,000-point mark, joining the club in dramatic fashion. Nevada now improves to 2-1 on the season.
“I almost had a heart attack,” Nevada coach David Carter said, as reported by the paper. “I had a timeout left. It was one of those situations where coaches sometimes overthink, call a timeout and want to draw up a play.
“Deonte’s been in that situation before. I’ve got a lot of trust in him. … He’s done it more times than anyone I’ve seen since I’ve been here to be honest with you. Maybe we’re playing too many close games.”
Nevada returns to the court Sunday against Southern Utah.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Adala Moto was a top 150 recruit in the class of 2012.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Allen will be one of the keys to Arizona’s season. Click to see why.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Randle talks favorite NBA players and the one-and-done rule.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Kentucky got some good news on Wednesday afternoon.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
He will be eligible immediately.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Not a bad pitch from the UConn star.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Loyd is converting from point guard to wide receiver.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Bulls announced the fifth departure this spring.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)