Nov 19, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
Team of the Week: Colorado Buffaloes
Colorado dispatched of Murray State late on Sunday night, giving the Buffaloes their second tournament title in the calender year. The last one they won? The Pac-12 tournament back in March, which sent Tad Boyle’s club off to the NCAA tournament. But with a number of key pieces leaving that group and coming off of an up-and-down regular season, there were those that doubted the Buffs heading into the year.
Well, not anymore. Not after Colorado knocked off Dayton, Baylor and Murray State. Not after Askia Booker looked like Colorado’s star despite the fact that Andre Roberson did everything we all expected him to do this season. Not after Spencer Dinwiddie appeared to be one of the nation’s most versatile defenders and Josh Scott and Xavier Johnson proved to be much further along than typical freshmen. Until otherwise noted, Arizona and UCLA have to be considered the favorites to win the Pac-12.
But Colorado is not all that far behind.
Five teams deserving of a shoutout:
- Oklahoma State: We talked about Oklahoma State at more length in the Player of the Week post, but the bottom line is this: they ran over a top half of the SEC team in Tennessee and they thoroughly dominated a top ten team in NC State. Oh, and Marcus Smart is a star. That’s quite a turnaround from their opener, when the Pokes struggled to beat UC Davis.
- Duke: The Blue Devils went down to Georgia, and while it wasn’t a soul they were looking to steal, they did manage to make a statement early in the season when they knocked off reigning champ Kentucky. It wasn’t just the fact that they won, either; it was how they won: by putting on a big second half run and surviving when the more athletic Wildcats started pressing. That’s a big win for a Duke team that had plenty of doubters heading into the season.
- Hofstra: The Pride won all three games at home this week, including thrillers against both South Dakota State and Marshall. Shaq Stokes hit a game-winner at the buzzer to knock off the Jackrabbits, while the Pride went into double-overtime against the Thundering Herd. The best news? Jamal Coombs-McDaniel still hasn’t played. They’ll get better.
- Belmont: The Bruins scored unquestionably their biggest win of the season by going into Palo Alto and knocking off Stanford. The Bruin’s dynamic backcourt of Ian Clark and Kerron Johnosn combined for 29 points in the win. Murray State may not be the best team in the Ohio Valley this season, and Belmont has set themselves up nicely for a run at an at-large bid.
- Florida State: After losing the opener to South Alabama at home, the Seminoles bounced back with a win in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic by knocking off both Notre Dame and St. Joe’s. In the process, Leonard Hamilton’s club has figured out that they’ll be a different team this season, one that relies on guard play heavily. The MVP of the week for FSU was freshman point guard Devon Bookert, who looked ready to takeover the role of primary ball-handler.
Also deserving a mention: Florida, Gonzaga, Michigan State, New Mexico, Santa Clara, SMU, St. Mary’s, Xavier, Wichita State, Youngstown State
Mar 12, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
The NCAA will not allow Baylor to wear the jerseys that were created for them by Adidas.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
Weber State is the presumptive favorite, but as many Big Sky teams are on equal footing, the Wildcats may again miss the NCAA tournament.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Michigan State and Iowa look to right the ship, Wisconsin tries to earn a No. 1 seed and Nebraska and Minnesota try to lock up a bid.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
The major conference tournaments kicks off on Wednesday.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
The Maryland basketball team honors a former manager that passed away.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Regular season champion UC Irvine may have gone 13-3 in Big West play, but look for this tournament to provide a surprise or two.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Doug McDermott’s SI cover pays homage to a man that he passed on the career scoring list weeks ago.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:09 AM EDT
Up to 13 spots remain uncertain for the stretch run.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
While there’s a clear favorite in the Pac-12 tournament, there will be plenty of drama with multiple teams looking to lock up a spot in the NCAA tournament.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
No. 8 San Diego State, No. 20 New Mexico are the clear favorites in Las Vegas. But don’t expect those two teams to simply coast to the title game, either.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:38 AM EDT
Four autobids were decided on Tuesday as the NCAA Tournament has some new entrants into the field of 68. Find out who made the Big Dance and see how BYU is looking after its WCC title game loss.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga is back in the tournament for what feels like the 100th straight year, but this team is a bit different than Gonzaga teams of old.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Meet the North Dakota State Bison, the winners of the Summit League and one of the — likely — trendy upset picks in this year’s NCAA Tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
The coaching carousel continued to spin on Tuesday night as Loyola Marymount opted not to renew the contract of head coach Max Good.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
Get to know the Northeast Conference tournament champs!
Mar 11, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
The Milwaukee Panthers are dancing after winning four games in the Horizon League Conference Tournament. Meet one of the NCAA Tournament’s more dangerous double-digit seeds here.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
After only two seasons as head coach, Tennessee State has opted to fire head coach Travis Williams.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The Southland’s top team has been upset in the conference tournament for the past three seasons. Will the trend continue? Or has the arrival of Stephen F. Austin’s new coach, Brad Underwood, altered the trajectory?
Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
UNC Wilmington on Tuesday announced that head coach Buzz Peterson is out after four years at the school.
- 2014 Big Ten Tournament Preview: Can Michigan State turn things around? 0
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)