Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Maryland is headed to the Big Ten. It will be announced at 3 p.m.
If this report from Inside Maryland Sports’ Jeff Ermann, who had the story days before anyone else, isn’t enough to convince you, than this tweet from Brett McMurphy should be:
Maryland's board of regents unanimously approves move to Big Ten, source tells @ESPN—
Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) November 19, 2012
Now we sit back and wait to see what dominoes this move sets in motion.
Is Rutgers joining the Terps in the Big Ten? Will the ACC add UConn to replace Maryland? What happens to the Big East without UConn and Rutgers? How long does Louisville hang around in the conference before they decide it’s time to get the heck out? Does the Big 12 look to add Louisville and Florida State? Does the Big Ten go after North Carolina and Georgia Tech to get their channel in every home along the eastern seaboard?
Perhaps most importantly, is this the latest step towards four superconferences?
You know, I really, really hate writing about this stuff. It sickens me. So much tradition simply evaporates as these schools chase every penny possible. I’ll leave you with this block quote, because it sums it up about as well as I ever could:
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Is there anything more sickening than watching almost EVERYONE associated with college sports, from the media to the athletic directors to the school presidents, try and convince the world this industry — and that’s what it is — is about college kids and a good education when, at every turn, they literally chase every single penny they can?
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)