Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Maryland is headed to the Big Ten. It will be announced at 3 p.m.
If this report from Inside Maryland Sports’ Jeff Ermann, who had the story days before anyone else, isn’t enough to convince you, than this tweet from Brett McMurphy should be:
Maryland's board of regents unanimously approves move to Big Ten, source tells @ESPN—
Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) November 19, 2012
Now we sit back and wait to see what dominoes this move sets in motion.
Is Rutgers joining the Terps in the Big Ten? Will the ACC add UConn to replace Maryland? What happens to the Big East without UConn and Rutgers? How long does Louisville hang around in the conference before they decide it’s time to get the heck out? Does the Big 12 look to add Louisville and Florida State? Does the Big Ten go after North Carolina and Georgia Tech to get their channel in every home along the eastern seaboard?
Perhaps most importantly, is this the latest step towards four superconferences?
You know, I really, really hate writing about this stuff. It sickens me. So much tradition simply evaporates as these schools chase every penny possible. I’ll leave you with this block quote, because it sums it up about as well as I ever could:
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Is there anything more sickening than watching almost EVERYONE associated with college sports, from the media to the athletic directors to the school presidents, try and convince the world this industry — and that’s what it is — is about college kids and a good education when, at every turn, they literally chase every single penny they can?
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)