Nov 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Maryland is headed to the Big Ten. It will be announced at 3 p.m.
If this report from Inside Maryland Sports’ Jeff Ermann, who had the story days before anyone else, isn’t enough to convince you, than this tweet from Brett McMurphy should be:
Maryland's board of regents unanimously approves move to Big Ten, source tells @ESPN—
Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) November 19, 2012
Now we sit back and wait to see what dominoes this move sets in motion.
Is Rutgers joining the Terps in the Big Ten? Will the ACC add UConn to replace Maryland? What happens to the Big East without UConn and Rutgers? How long does Louisville hang around in the conference before they decide it’s time to get the heck out? Does the Big 12 look to add Louisville and Florida State? Does the Big Ten go after North Carolina and Georgia Tech to get their channel in every home along the eastern seaboard?
Perhaps most importantly, is this the latest step towards four superconferences?
You know, I really, really hate writing about this stuff. It sickens me. So much tradition simply evaporates as these schools chase every penny possible. I’ll leave you with this block quote, because it sums it up about as well as I ever could:
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Is there anything more sickening than watching almost EVERYONE associated with college sports, from the media to the athletic directors to the school presidents, try and convince the world this industry — and that’s what it is — is about college kids and a good education when, at every turn, they literally chase every single penny they can?
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)