Nov 20, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
All anyone wanted to talk about with Arizona heading into the season was the addition of Xavier transfer Mark Lyons.
And to be perfectly fair, Lyons is a huge x-factor for this team. He’s the point guard that Sean Miller was missing, even if he’s not exactly a prototypical point guard.
But one of the most under-discussed aspects of this group was the assumption that Arizona’s freshmen big men weren’t going to play like freshmen. Three games into the season, that assumption has proven true for one of those three.
He was terrific on Monday night against Long Beach State, finishing with 20 points and 10 boards. He’s not the Wildcat’s leading scorer and rebounder, and while it’s only three games into the season, it’s silly to think that Ashley will get worse as he get more experience.
Kaleb Tarczewski and Grant Jerrett have combined to averaged just 11.3 points and 9.7 boards thus far in the season, and those are numbers that Miller likely hopes will improve. But as long as Ashley is anchoring the front line, Arizona will be just fine this season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)