Nov 20, 2012, 7:24 PM EST
All anyone wanted to talk about with Arizona heading into the season was the addition of Xavier transfer Mark Lyons.
And to be perfectly fair, Lyons is a huge x-factor for this team. He’s the point guard that Sean Miller was missing, even if he’s not exactly a prototypical point guard.
But one of the most under-discussed aspects of this group was the assumption that Arizona’s freshmen big men weren’t going to play like freshmen. Three games into the season, that assumption has proven true for one of those three.
He was terrific on Monday night against Long Beach State, finishing with 20 points and 10 boards. He’s not the Wildcat’s leading scorer and rebounder, and while it’s only three games into the season, it’s silly to think that Ashley will get worse as he get more experience.
Kaleb Tarczewski and Grant Jerrett have combined to averaged just 11.3 points and 9.7 boards thus far in the season, and those are numbers that Miller likely hopes will improve. But as long as Ashley is anchoring the front line, Arizona will be just fine this season.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)