Nov 20, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT
All anyone wanted to talk about with Arizona heading into the season was the addition of Xavier transfer Mark Lyons.
And to be perfectly fair, Lyons is a huge x-factor for this team. He’s the point guard that Sean Miller was missing, even if he’s not exactly a prototypical point guard.
But one of the most under-discussed aspects of this group was the assumption that Arizona’s freshmen big men weren’t going to play like freshmen. Three games into the season, that assumption has proven true for one of those three.
He was terrific on Monday night against Long Beach State, finishing with 20 points and 10 boards. He’s not the Wildcat’s leading scorer and rebounder, and while it’s only three games into the season, it’s silly to think that Ashley will get worse as he get more experience.
Kaleb Tarczewski and Grant Jerrett have combined to averaged just 11.3 points and 9.7 boards thus far in the season, and those are numbers that Miller likely hopes will improve. But as long as Ashley is anchoring the front line, Arizona will be just fine this season.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)