Nov 20, 2012, 9:14 PM EST
Texas is playing without the guy that is probably their most talented player.
That would be Myck Kabongo.
If you haven’t been paying attention, the NCAA has Kabongo in their cross hairs because they are concerned about how he paid for a trip to Akron for a workout this summer.
Without Kabongo in the mix, Texas has been … (how can I put this nicely) … awful? Abysmal? Masochistic viewing?
It came to a head on Monday night, when the Longhorns got routed in the first round of the Maui Invitational by Chaminade. Things weren’t any better on Tuesday night, as Texas managed just 53 points in a 59-53 overtime loss to USC, who was coming off of a 30-point whipping at the hands of a thoroughly mediocre Illinois team.
The Longhorns looked like a team whose offense was stuck in neutral. They’re not shooting well, they’re not moving well, they lack creativity on the perimeter, there’s no go-to guy. It’s a mess.
And it’s not necessarily one that Kabongo can fix by himself, whenever he actually ends up being cleared.
He’s better than Javan Felix. He’ll take some pressure off of his teammates by getting them easier shots on the offensive end of the floor. He’ll provide the Longhorns with another scoring punch. All that is important. But if Kabongo hasn’t made a significant jump from last season, all his addition will be is yet another young-but-talented player on a roster that’s full of young-but-talented players.
One pretty good player joining a pretty bad team isn’t exactly a recipe for a Big 12 title.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)