Nov 20, 2012, 9:14 PM EDT
Texas is playing without the guy that is probably their most talented player.
That would be Myck Kabongo.
If you haven’t been paying attention, the NCAA has Kabongo in their cross hairs because they are concerned about how he paid for a trip to Akron for a workout this summer.
Without Kabongo in the mix, Texas has been … (how can I put this nicely) … awful? Abysmal? Masochistic viewing?
It came to a head on Monday night, when the Longhorns got routed in the first round of the Maui Invitational by Chaminade. Things weren’t any better on Tuesday night, as Texas managed just 53 points in a 59-53 overtime loss to USC, who was coming off of a 30-point whipping at the hands of a thoroughly mediocre Illinois team.
The Longhorns looked like a team whose offense was stuck in neutral. They’re not shooting well, they’re not moving well, they lack creativity on the perimeter, there’s no go-to guy. It’s a mess.
And it’s not necessarily one that Kabongo can fix by himself, whenever he actually ends up being cleared.
He’s better than Javan Felix. He’ll take some pressure off of his teammates by getting them easier shots on the offensive end of the floor. He’ll provide the Longhorns with another scoring punch. All that is important. But if Kabongo hasn’t made a significant jump from last season, all his addition will be is yet another young-but-talented player on a roster that’s full of young-but-talented players.
One pretty good player joining a pretty bad team isn’t exactly a recipe for a Big 12 title.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)