Nov 20, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
Coming off a win over Georgia in the Legends Classic Monday night, Indiana coach Tom Crean could get another bit of good news before his team takes the floor for Tuesday’s championship game.
The NCAA will hear the appeals of Indiana freshmen Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin, according to Jeff Rabjohns of Rivals.com, close to two weeks after the two were suspended for benefits they received from their coach with AAU team Indiana Elite.
Mosquera-Perea and Jurkin were both suspended for 30 percent of the season, which translates to nine games and, if no appeal is granted, will keep them out of competition until Dec. 15 against Butler.
The two needed special permission to travel with the team to Brooklyn for the Legends Classic and were greeted with a round of applause of Indiana fans as they entered the arena Monday night.
But the case has received criticism because of the reach it appears the NCAA has in ruling benefits impermissible. The key was that the two freshman received benefits from the coach, Mark Adams, who is considered an Indiana booster.
A multi-million, courtside seat-type booster? No, but two decades ago he gave a total of $185 to the IU Varsity Club, slapping him with the “booster” title for life.
According to the Sporting News, a decision could come prior to Indiana’s championship game Tuesday night. Tip-off against Georgetown is slated for 10:00 p.m.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)