Nov 20, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
NBCSports.com had a chance to talk with Taylor after his historic 138-point game. Click here to read the interview.
Forget Rotnei Clarke.
Take your Doug McDermott and go home.
Jordy Hulls? What is a Jordy Hulls?
The best shooter in the country is Jack Taylor, a sophomore guard at Grinnell, a D-III school in Iowa. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it, because Taylor set an NCAA record on Tuesday night by scoring 138 points.
That’s not a typo.
He really scored 138 points.
You can watch the game. Right here. Taylor was 52-108 from the floor and 27-71 from three as Grinnell beat Faith Baptist Bible, 179-104. Think about that. He took more shots, individually, than you see taken by both teams combined in a lot of games. He took more threes, individually, than total shots most teams take in games.
I hope he iced down that wrist after the game.
To be fair, Taylor plays for Grinnell, which runs a variant of the offense that Paul Westhead ran at LMU in the early 90’s, except it’s faster. They want to shoot as quickly as possible, they press full-court the entire game, and they make complete line changes every minute or so. Most importantly, if they’re not shooting a three or a layup, they ain’t shooting it.
It’s a system that produces some crazy box scores. One year and one day ago, a Grinnell player set the D-III record for points at 89.
Regardless of the situation, however, 138 points in a game is just an absurdly high number. That’s more than some good players get in a season.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)