Nov 20, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Mark former Maryland coach Lefty Driesell down as one of the people who are totally against the Terrapins choice to leave the ACC and head to the Big Ten.
On SiriusXM’s College Sports Nation channel, the man who brought two ACC regular season title and an ACC conference tournament title to College Park voiced his opinion on the situation, and it wasn’t nice.
Lefty Driesell: “I think it’s a sad day. You know, I played in the first ACC tournament when I was playing at Duke and I’ve always loved the ACC. I coached in it for 17 years, did announcing in it for two years. It’s a great league. … I think it’s a terrible decision [to move]. You tell me one thing that’s good about it. Besides money, what’s one thing? … I’m an old timer. I’m 80 years old. College athletics used to be for the students, not for the business people.”
This isn’t a surprise. A lot o f older folks love tradition and Lefty is one of them. He’s a lifer in the ACC, essentially, and he likes to see it stay that way. Unfortunately, times change and the game he once knew it’s about love and tradition anymore, it’s about money and as long as the almighty dollar takes precedence, this is how things will be run.
Driesell’s opinion is shared by a lot of people. Unfortunately, the people with the opinions that matter, the college athletic directors and presidents, are saying “show me the money.”
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)