Nov 20, 2012, 9:15 AM EST
Mark former Maryland coach Lefty Driesell down as one of the people who are totally against the Terrapins choice to leave the ACC and head to the Big Ten.
On SiriusXM’s College Sports Nation channel, the man who brought two ACC regular season title and an ACC conference tournament title to College Park voiced his opinion on the situation, and it wasn’t nice.
Lefty Driesell: “I think it’s a sad day. You know, I played in the first ACC tournament when I was playing at Duke and I’ve always loved the ACC. I coached in it for 17 years, did announcing in it for two years. It’s a great league. … I think it’s a terrible decision [to move]. You tell me one thing that’s good about it. Besides money, what’s one thing? … I’m an old timer. I’m 80 years old. College athletics used to be for the students, not for the business people.”
This isn’t a surprise. A lot o f older folks love tradition and Lefty is one of them. He’s a lifer in the ACC, essentially, and he likes to see it stay that way. Unfortunately, times change and the game he once knew it’s about love and tradition anymore, it’s about money and as long as the almighty dollar takes precedence, this is how things will be run.
Driesell’s opinion is shared by a lot of people. Unfortunately, the people with the opinions that matter, the college athletic directors and presidents, are saying “show me the money.”
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)