Nov 20, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Mark former Maryland coach Lefty Driesell down as one of the people who are totally against the Terrapins choice to leave the ACC and head to the Big Ten.
On SiriusXM’s College Sports Nation channel, the man who brought two ACC regular season title and an ACC conference tournament title to College Park voiced his opinion on the situation, and it wasn’t nice.
Lefty Driesell: “I think it’s a sad day. You know, I played in the first ACC tournament when I was playing at Duke and I’ve always loved the ACC. I coached in it for 17 years, did announcing in it for two years. It’s a great league. … I think it’s a terrible decision [to move]. You tell me one thing that’s good about it. Besides money, what’s one thing? … I’m an old timer. I’m 80 years old. College athletics used to be for the students, not for the business people.”
This isn’t a surprise. A lot o f older folks love tradition and Lefty is one of them. He’s a lifer in the ACC, essentially, and he likes to see it stay that way. Unfortunately, times change and the game he once knew it’s about love and tradition anymore, it’s about money and as long as the almighty dollar takes precedence, this is how things will be run.
Driesell’s opinion is shared by a lot of people. Unfortunately, the people with the opinions that matter, the college athletic directors and presidents, are saying “show me the money.”
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)