Nov 20, 2012, 1:02 PM EST
Penn State star guard Tim Frazier will miss the remainder of the 2012-13 season with a torn left Achilles tendon, Penn State associate director of communications Brian Siegrist announced via Twitter Tuesday afternoon.
Frazier went down with the injury early in the first half of Penn State’s loss to Akron Sunday in Puerto Rico.
Frazier, a 6-1 senior, is arguably a Top-15 point guard in the country who was averaging 16.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 3.8 assists per game so far this season. He was a First Team All-Big Ten selection in the preseason.
Alongside fellow guard D.J. Newbill, the Nittany Lions had one of the conference’s stronger backcourt tandems and were off to a 2-2 start.
If there is a silver lining for Frazier, though, it is early enough in the season for him to apply for a medical redshirt, which would preserve his year of eligibility and allow him to possibly return for the 2013-14 season.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)