Nov 21, 2012, 1:51 PM EST
Christmas has come early for West Virginia coach Bob Huggins, as the Mountaineer head coach agreed to a contract extension with the school, Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News is reporting.
Huggins’ existing deal lasted another five years, but the new agreement, according to the report, adds six more years and increases his pay by about $20 million over that span. His salary would now top the $3 million mark, making him the likely the eighth coach to hit that pay level.
The 2012-13 season will be Huggins’ sixth with West Virginia, after coming over from Kansas State in 2007. He replaced John Beilein in Morgantown when Beilein bolted to take the head coaching job at Michigan.
At West Virginia, Huggins has an overall winning percentage of close to 70 percent. He has won over 700 games in his career and made two appearances to the Final Four. His last came in 2009-10 with West Virginia.
Huggins is Morgantown’s native son, having been born there and playing college basketball at WVU. He joins Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Mike Krzyzewski, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, and Tom Crean as the only other coaches to be making more than $3 million per season, according to the report.
The Mountaineers are 0-1 so far in 2012-13 and take the floor against Marist Thursday in Orlando.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)