Nov 21, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
Christmas has come early for West Virginia coach Bob Huggins, as the Mountaineer head coach agreed to a contract extension with the school, Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News is reporting.
Huggins’ existing deal lasted another five years, but the new agreement, according to the report, adds six more years and increases his pay by about $20 million over that span. His salary would now top the $3 million mark, making him the likely the eighth coach to hit that pay level.
The 2012-13 season will be Huggins’ sixth with West Virginia, after coming over from Kansas State in 2007. He replaced John Beilein in Morgantown when Beilein bolted to take the head coaching job at Michigan.
At West Virginia, Huggins has an overall winning percentage of close to 70 percent. He has won over 700 games in his career and made two appearances to the Final Four. His last came in 2009-10 with West Virginia.
Huggins is Morgantown’s native son, having been born there and playing college basketball at WVU. He joins Tom Izzo, Bill Self, Mike Krzyzewski, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, John Calipari, and Tom Crean as the only other coaches to be making more than $3 million per season, according to the report.
The Mountaineers are 0-1 so far in 2012-13 and take the floor against Marist Thursday in Orlando.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)