Nov 21, 2012, 1:09 AM EST
When Grinnell College (IA) guard Jack Taylor woke up this morning, there’s no way he could have imagined that before he went to sleep that night, he would score 138 points, become an Internet sensation, and be doing media interviews until the wee hours of the morning.
NBCSports.com had a chance to speak with Taylor. Below is a transcript of the interview.
If I had told you at 8 a.m. this morning that you would put up 138 points, what would you have said to me?
“I would have called you crazy. Coming into the game, I knew I was going to be getting more shots than usual. We played in our opening tournament and I didn’t shoot very well, so my coaches made a concerted effort to get more shots.”
Take me through the progression of things. How did you feel after getting a quick 10 points? 40? 70? 100?
“I started off the game cold, I went 0-for-4, then I thought I started warming up and thought I had an OK game. I thought I had 30 at halftime and coach said I had 58. I was surprised [laughs].
“My teammates said they wanted to give me the ball if I was going to keep making them, so I’m fortunate to have such unselfish teammates. The rest was really a blur. The basket seemed huge. There was a stretch where I hit eight in a row and that’s when I knew I had really gotten going.“
David Larson scored 70 points for Faith Baptist Bible. What do you think he’s thinking, having put up the game of his life and you almost double his point total?
“I’m sure he was just as excited as I am.” [laughs]
Out of high school, did you get any Division I looks? What ultimately landed you at Grinnell?
“Yeah I got a few D-I and D-II looks. Out of high school, I went out to prep school at Mercersburg Academy (Pa.).
The D-I school I got looks from was Columbia in the Ivy league. In D-II, it was Augustana.
Pretty much, the reason I came to Grinnell was because one of my friends played basketball here a couple years ago. He talked to me about the offensive creativity that they have here, so I thought it would fit my game perfectly.”
Now, what do you do from here? I mean, if you score 60 points in your next game, that’s a letdown, right?
“I think I’m going to be a marked man now, that’s for sure. It’s going to get a whole lot harder.”
Click here to see NBCSports.com’s original post about Taylor’s 138-point game.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)