Nov 21, 2012, 1:09 AM EDT
When Grinnell College (IA) guard Jack Taylor woke up this morning, there’s no way he could have imagined that before he went to sleep that night, he would score 138 points, become an Internet sensation, and be doing media interviews until the wee hours of the morning.
NBCSports.com had a chance to speak with Taylor. Below is a transcript of the interview.
If I had told you at 8 a.m. this morning that you would put up 138 points, what would you have said to me?
“I would have called you crazy. Coming into the game, I knew I was going to be getting more shots than usual. We played in our opening tournament and I didn’t shoot very well, so my coaches made a concerted effort to get more shots.”
Take me through the progression of things. How did you feel after getting a quick 10 points? 40? 70? 100?
“I started off the game cold, I went 0-for-4, then I thought I started warming up and thought I had an OK game. I thought I had 30 at halftime and coach said I had 58. I was surprised [laughs].
“My teammates said they wanted to give me the ball if I was going to keep making them, so I’m fortunate to have such unselfish teammates. The rest was really a blur. The basket seemed huge. There was a stretch where I hit eight in a row and that’s when I knew I had really gotten going.“
David Larson scored 70 points for Faith Baptist Bible. What do you think he’s thinking, having put up the game of his life and you almost double his point total?
“I’m sure he was just as excited as I am.” [laughs]
Out of high school, did you get any Division I looks? What ultimately landed you at Grinnell?
“Yeah I got a few D-I and D-II looks. Out of high school, I went out to prep school at Mercersburg Academy (Pa.).
The D-I school I got looks from was Columbia in the Ivy league. In D-II, it was Augustana.
Pretty much, the reason I came to Grinnell was because one of my friends played basketball here a couple years ago. He talked to me about the offensive creativity that they have here, so I thought it would fit my game perfectly.”
Now, what do you do from here? I mean, if you score 60 points in your next game, that’s a letdown, right?
“I think I’m going to be a marked man now, that’s for sure. It’s going to get a whole lot harder.”
Click here to see NBCSports.com’s original post about Taylor’s 138-point game.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (5)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)