Nov 21, 2012, 12:23 AM EST
BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The Legends Classic was designed to get UCLA and their top ranked recruiting class to taken on the No. 1 team in the country in Indiana in the title game.
Georgetown ruined those plans, knocking off the Bruins on Monday night, but that wound up being for the better, as the Hoyas and the Hoosiers put on one of the best November hoops showcases you’ll see.
Georgetown used an 8-1 run in the final 45 seconds of regulation to force overtime when Otto Porter scored on a tough, driving layup with 4.6 seconds left. Cody Zeller nearly won the game at the buzzer, as the Hoosiers executed a beautifully designed in-bounds play to get their all-american a free run at the rim. But Zeller’s finger-roll lipped out (and it may have come after the buzzer had sounded, anyway), and the capacity crowd at the Barclays Center was treated to five more minutes of hoops.
IU pulled away in the overtime, using a 9-2 surge at the start of the extra period to open up a 73-66 lead. Freshman Yogi Ferrell hit the dagger, a fadeaway three at the shot-clock buzzer to put the Hoosiers up 78-68 with less than a minute left. They would cruise to a 82-72 win.
Zeller led five players in double figures for the Hoosiers, finishing with 17 points and eight boards, while Jordy Hulls chipped in with 15 points.
Markel Starks once again led the way for the Hoyas, finishing with 20 points, while Porter added 15 points, five boards, four assists, three steals and two blocks.
Much more to come …
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)