Nov 21, 2012, 12:23 AM EST
BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The Legends Classic was designed to get UCLA and their top ranked recruiting class to taken on the No. 1 team in the country in Indiana in the title game.
Georgetown ruined those plans, knocking off the Bruins on Monday night, but that wound up being for the better, as the Hoyas and the Hoosiers put on one of the best November hoops showcases you’ll see.
Georgetown used an 8-1 run in the final 45 seconds of regulation to force overtime when Otto Porter scored on a tough, driving layup with 4.6 seconds left. Cody Zeller nearly won the game at the buzzer, as the Hoosiers executed a beautifully designed in-bounds play to get their all-american a free run at the rim. But Zeller’s finger-roll lipped out (and it may have come after the buzzer had sounded, anyway), and the capacity crowd at the Barclays Center was treated to five more minutes of hoops.
IU pulled away in the overtime, using a 9-2 surge at the start of the extra period to open up a 73-66 lead. Freshman Yogi Ferrell hit the dagger, a fadeaway three at the shot-clock buzzer to put the Hoosiers up 78-68 with less than a minute left. They would cruise to a 82-72 win.
Zeller led five players in double figures for the Hoosiers, finishing with 17 points and eight boards, while Jordy Hulls chipped in with 15 points.
Markel Starks once again led the way for the Hoyas, finishing with 20 points, while Porter added 15 points, five boards, four assists, three steals and two blocks.
Much more to come …
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)