Nov 21, 2012, 12:23 AM EDT
BROOKLYN, N.Y. – The Legends Classic was designed to get UCLA and their top ranked recruiting class to taken on the No. 1 team in the country in Indiana in the title game.
Georgetown ruined those plans, knocking off the Bruins on Monday night, but that wound up being for the better, as the Hoyas and the Hoosiers put on one of the best November hoops showcases you’ll see.
Georgetown used an 8-1 run in the final 45 seconds of regulation to force overtime when Otto Porter scored on a tough, driving layup with 4.6 seconds left. Cody Zeller nearly won the game at the buzzer, as the Hoosiers executed a beautifully designed in-bounds play to get their all-american a free run at the rim. But Zeller’s finger-roll lipped out (and it may have come after the buzzer had sounded, anyway), and the capacity crowd at the Barclays Center was treated to five more minutes of hoops.
IU pulled away in the overtime, using a 9-2 surge at the start of the extra period to open up a 73-66 lead. Freshman Yogi Ferrell hit the dagger, a fadeaway three at the shot-clock buzzer to put the Hoosiers up 78-68 with less than a minute left. They would cruise to a 82-72 win.
Zeller led five players in double figures for the Hoosiers, finishing with 17 points and eight boards, while Jordy Hulls chipped in with 15 points.
Markel Starks once again led the way for the Hoyas, finishing with 20 points, while Porter added 15 points, five boards, four assists, three steals and two blocks.
Much more to come …
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)