Nov 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
If you don’t know who Jack Taylor is by now, you’re in for a treat. We got a great Morning Mix lined up for you today. Enjoy.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
2:30 p.m. – Mississippi State vs. Texas
4:00 p.m. – Auburn @ Boston College
5:00 p.m. – Marquette vs. USC
7:00 p.m. – George Washington @ Notre Dame
7:00 p.m. – Morehead State @ No. 8 Kentucky
7:00 p.m. – Princeton @ No. 6 Syracuse
8:00 p.m. – Delaware vs. Kansas State
8:00 p.m. – UNC-Wilmington @ Purdue
9:00 p.m. – Eastern Washington @ USC-Upstate
9:30 p.m. – No. 4 Michigan vs. Pittsburgh
10:30 p.m. – Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ No. 22 San Diego State
2:00 a.m. – Belmont @ Alaska-Anchorage
Division-III guard Jack Taylor scored 138 points last night: Yup, that’s right. Grinnell College senior Jack Taylor shot 52-108 from the floor and 27-71 from three en route to a 179-104 win over Faith Baptist Bible College. This is just insane. Incredible. Jack Taylor, you sire are my hero.
Exclusive interview with Jack Taylor: Jack Taylor was kind enough to spend a few moments with NBC Sports following his historic performance. He says he stopped counting after 50. Welcome to the history books, kid.
Texas needs Myck Kabongo, but is he the answer?: The Longhorns have had a rough go of things in Maui, losing to Chaminade and USC in back-to-game days. However, they were without their best player, Myck Kobongo who is being investigated by the NCAA. But when Kabongo returns, will he be enough to fix the Longhorns’ issues?
Cody Zeller’s stats may go down this year, but that’s a good thing: With all the talent surrounding Cody Zeller at Indiana, his numbers are likely to decrease this year. But considering he has so much talent around him, this won’t necessarily be a bad thing.
– Tough news for Penn State, as their star player Tim Frazier will miss the rest of the season due to an Achilles injury he suffered against Akron on Sunday (Eye On College Basketball)
– Michigan State freshman guard Gary Harris is expected to miss the next two weeks because of a shoulder injury (Mlive.com)
– Indiana is still waiting to hear from the NCAA regarding the suspension appeals of Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin (Hoosier Scoop)
Observations & Insight:
– Rutgers’ decision to leave the Big East leaves an uncertain future for basketball-only members (New Jersey Star Ledger)
– A great read on the roller coaster ride that Hofstra guard Shaq Stokes has been on (Big Apple Buckets)
– Luke Winn learned a lot from the Georgetown/Indiana game. He kind enough to share his knowledge with us (Sports Illustrated)
– Georgetown isn’t ranked in the top-25, but after a successful trip to Brooklyn, it’s clear that the Hoyas are one of the 20 best teams in the country (ESPN)
– Advanced statistics from JAck Taylor’s performance. Be warned. These numbers may literally blow your mind (Basketball Prospectus)
– As the UCLA Bruins continue to develop this season, the Anderson/Muhammad chemistry will be a key to success (SNY.tv)
News & Notes:
– You’re kidding me right? Virginia and Boston College to the B1G? Jim Delaney clearly isn’t done making moves yet. (Corn Nation)
– Morehead State head coach Sean Woods has apologized for his critical comments regarding the current culture of college players. the head coach was a member of Kentucky’s “Unforgettables” 1991-1992 squad (Courier-Journal)
– The NCAA is taking a hard stance on former-Miami players that were linked to former-booster Nevin Shapiro (Miami Herald)
– The Georgetown/Florida game that was prematurely cancelled aboard the USS Bataan may end up getting rescheduled (USA Today)
Dunk of the Day: Ben McLemore has no problem dunking over his own teammates (Ballin’ is a Habit)
Video(s) of the Day:
Nasty scuffle results in six ejections during the Southern Illinois/SIU-Edwardsville game last night (OVC Ball)
Video(s) of the Day:
Rotnei Clarke’s buzzer-beater may have just been topped thanks to Georgia State’s Rashaad Richardson and his half-court buzzer-beater to knock off Tennessee State 59-57
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Sep 1, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Bryce Alford is UCLA’s top returning scorer.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine will be in contention for Big Ten Player of the Year this season.
Sep 1, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated as the sixth-best player in 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:33 PM EDT
Duke gets another five-star recruit.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
UConn landed its second four-star recruit in the Class of 2016.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The GW senior finished with 19 points.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jayce Johnson is focusing on five schools as he’s set four official visits.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Georgetown has some very intriguing games on the non-conference slate.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Arkansas won’t be getting a boost from the four-star big man.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt bolsters its backcourt with the late addition of a junior college guard.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Conference realignment is still happening at the lower levels as Coastal Carolina makes a move to the Sun Belt.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
Shamorie Ponds is one of the best bucket-getting guards in the 2016 class.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
Malik Monk is rated No. 6 overall in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
It’s the second commit in as many nights for the Cyclones.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Javion Ogunyemi averaged 9.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 2014-15.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
The two teams last met in the 2013 Big East Tournament
Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Indiana dismissed the forward after his second alcohol-related incident.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo is still waiting to hear from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will make his college decision on Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Rawle Alkins is one of the best players to come out of New York in years.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)