Nov 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
If you don’t know who Jack Taylor is by now, you’re in for a treat. We got a great Morning Mix lined up for you today. Enjoy.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
2:30 p.m. – Mississippi State vs. Texas
4:00 p.m. – Auburn @ Boston College
5:00 p.m. – Marquette vs. USC
7:00 p.m. – George Washington @ Notre Dame
7:00 p.m. – Morehead State @ No. 8 Kentucky
7:00 p.m. – Princeton @ No. 6 Syracuse
8:00 p.m. – Delaware vs. Kansas State
8:00 p.m. – UNC-Wilmington @ Purdue
9:00 p.m. – Eastern Washington @ USC-Upstate
9:30 p.m. – No. 4 Michigan vs. Pittsburgh
10:30 p.m. – Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ No. 22 San Diego State
2:00 a.m. – Belmont @ Alaska-Anchorage
Division-III guard Jack Taylor scored 138 points last night: Yup, that’s right. Grinnell College senior Jack Taylor shot 52-108 from the floor and 27-71 from three en route to a 179-104 win over Faith Baptist Bible College. This is just insane. Incredible. Jack Taylor, you sire are my hero.
Exclusive interview with Jack Taylor: Jack Taylor was kind enough to spend a few moments with NBC Sports following his historic performance. He says he stopped counting after 50. Welcome to the history books, kid.
Texas needs Myck Kabongo, but is he the answer?: The Longhorns have had a rough go of things in Maui, losing to Chaminade and USC in back-to-game days. However, they were without their best player, Myck Kobongo who is being investigated by the NCAA. But when Kabongo returns, will he be enough to fix the Longhorns’ issues?
Cody Zeller’s stats may go down this year, but that’s a good thing: With all the talent surrounding Cody Zeller at Indiana, his numbers are likely to decrease this year. But considering he has so much talent around him, this won’t necessarily be a bad thing.
– Tough news for Penn State, as their star player Tim Frazier will miss the rest of the season due to an Achilles injury he suffered against Akron on Sunday (Eye On College Basketball)
– Michigan State freshman guard Gary Harris is expected to miss the next two weeks because of a shoulder injury (Mlive.com)
– Indiana is still waiting to hear from the NCAA regarding the suspension appeals of Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin (Hoosier Scoop)
Observations & Insight:
– Rutgers’ decision to leave the Big East leaves an uncertain future for basketball-only members (New Jersey Star Ledger)
– A great read on the roller coaster ride that Hofstra guard Shaq Stokes has been on (Big Apple Buckets)
– Luke Winn learned a lot from the Georgetown/Indiana game. He kind enough to share his knowledge with us (Sports Illustrated)
– Georgetown isn’t ranked in the top-25, but after a successful trip to Brooklyn, it’s clear that the Hoyas are one of the 20 best teams in the country (ESPN)
– Advanced statistics from JAck Taylor’s performance. Be warned. These numbers may literally blow your mind (Basketball Prospectus)
– As the UCLA Bruins continue to develop this season, the Anderson/Muhammad chemistry will be a key to success (SNY.tv)
News & Notes:
– You’re kidding me right? Virginia and Boston College to the B1G? Jim Delaney clearly isn’t done making moves yet. (Corn Nation)
– Morehead State head coach Sean Woods has apologized for his critical comments regarding the current culture of college players. the head coach was a member of Kentucky’s “Unforgettables” 1991-1992 squad (Courier-Journal)
– The NCAA is taking a hard stance on former-Miami players that were linked to former-booster Nevin Shapiro (Miami Herald)
– The Georgetown/Florida game that was prematurely cancelled aboard the USS Bataan may end up getting rescheduled (USA Today)
Dunk of the Day: Ben McLemore has no problem dunking over his own teammates (Ballin’ is a Habit)
Video(s) of the Day:
Nasty scuffle results in six ejections during the Southern Illinois/SIU-Edwardsville game last night (OVC Ball)
Video(s) of the Day:
Rotnei Clarke’s buzzer-beater may have just been topped thanks to Georgia State’s Rashaad Richardson and his half-court buzzer-beater to knock off Tennessee State 59-57
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)