Nov 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
If you don’t know who Jack Taylor is by now, you’re in for a treat. We got a great Morning Mix lined up for you today. Enjoy.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
2:30 p.m. – Mississippi State vs. Texas
4:00 p.m. – Auburn @ Boston College
5:00 p.m. – Marquette vs. USC
7:00 p.m. – George Washington @ Notre Dame
7:00 p.m. – Morehead State @ No. 8 Kentucky
7:00 p.m. – Princeton @ No. 6 Syracuse
8:00 p.m. – Delaware vs. Kansas State
8:00 p.m. – UNC-Wilmington @ Purdue
9:00 p.m. – Eastern Washington @ USC-Upstate
9:30 p.m. – No. 4 Michigan vs. Pittsburgh
10:30 p.m. – Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ No. 22 San Diego State
2:00 a.m. – Belmont @ Alaska-Anchorage
Division-III guard Jack Taylor scored 138 points last night: Yup, that’s right. Grinnell College senior Jack Taylor shot 52-108 from the floor and 27-71 from three en route to a 179-104 win over Faith Baptist Bible College. This is just insane. Incredible. Jack Taylor, you sire are my hero.
Exclusive interview with Jack Taylor: Jack Taylor was kind enough to spend a few moments with NBC Sports following his historic performance. He says he stopped counting after 50. Welcome to the history books, kid.
Texas needs Myck Kabongo, but is he the answer?: The Longhorns have had a rough go of things in Maui, losing to Chaminade and USC in back-to-game days. However, they were without their best player, Myck Kobongo who is being investigated by the NCAA. But when Kabongo returns, will he be enough to fix the Longhorns’ issues?
Cody Zeller’s stats may go down this year, but that’s a good thing: With all the talent surrounding Cody Zeller at Indiana, his numbers are likely to decrease this year. But considering he has so much talent around him, this won’t necessarily be a bad thing.
– Tough news for Penn State, as their star player Tim Frazier will miss the rest of the season due to an Achilles injury he suffered against Akron on Sunday (Eye On College Basketball)
- Michigan State freshman guard Gary Harris is expected to miss the next two weeks because of a shoulder injury (Mlive.com)
- Indiana is still waiting to hear from the NCAA regarding the suspension appeals of Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin (Hoosier Scoop)
Observations & Insight:
– Rutgers’ decision to leave the Big East leaves an uncertain future for basketball-only members (New Jersey Star Ledger)
- A great read on the roller coaster ride that Hofstra guard Shaq Stokes has been on (Big Apple Buckets)
- Luke Winn learned a lot from the Georgetown/Indiana game. He kind enough to share his knowledge with us (Sports Illustrated)
- Georgetown isn’t ranked in the top-25, but after a successful trip to Brooklyn, it’s clear that the Hoyas are one of the 20 best teams in the country (ESPN)
– Advanced statistics from JAck Taylor’s performance. Be warned. These numbers may literally blow your mind (Basketball Prospectus)
- As the UCLA Bruins continue to develop this season, the Anderson/Muhammad chemistry will be a key to success (SNY.tv)
News & Notes:
– You’re kidding me right? Virginia and Boston College to the B1G? Jim Delaney clearly isn’t done making moves yet. (Corn Nation)
- Morehead State head coach Sean Woods has apologized for his critical comments regarding the current culture of college players. the head coach was a member of Kentucky’s “Unforgettables” 1991-1992 squad (Courier-Journal)
- The NCAA is taking a hard stance on former-Miami players that were linked to former-booster Nevin Shapiro (Miami Herald)
- The Georgetown/Florida game that was prematurely cancelled aboard the USS Bataan may end up getting rescheduled (USA Today)
Dunk of the Day: Ben McLemore has no problem dunking over his own teammates (Ballin’ is a Habit)
Video(s) of the Day:
Nasty scuffle results in six ejections during the Southern Illinois/SIU-Edwardsville game last night (OVC Ball)
Video(s) of the Day:
Rotnei Clarke’s buzzer-beater may have just been topped thanks to Georgia State’s Rashaad Richardson and his half-court buzzer-beater to knock off Tennessee State 59-57
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
I hope his joke doesn’t make people ignore the fact the he really felt bad about this.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
We get some good gauge games on Tuesday night.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Frank Kaminsky and Jahlil Okafor are near the top, but the rest of the top five may surprise you.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Benjamin hurt his ankle against Michigan.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Jason McManamen is trying to prove Billy Hoyle and Sidney Dean wrong.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Michigan was dominated on the glass, but the freshman forward stepped up to ice the victory.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Can a team that runs a pressing system truly be one of the nations elite?
Late Night Snacks: San Diego State and BYU engage in double OT thriller; Nova, Zona earn big wins; Indiana upset at home
Nov 25, 2014, 2:00 AM EST
A busy night of tournament and non-conference action in college hoops made for some big wins for Villanova and Arizona and a home loss for Indiana.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:51 PM EST
We knew Iowa State had a lot of offensive weapons, but with the return of some key rotation players the Cyclones look really tough.
No. 6 Louisville jumps out to 29-0 lead, holds Savannah State scoreless for nearly 16 minutes in easy win
Nov 24, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Louisville’s defense took it up a notch against Savannah State.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Tennessee is losing an assistant coach as a NCAA investigation into head coach Donnie Tyndall’s time at Southern Mississippi continues.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
No. 3 Arizona held off Missouri the whole game and cruised to a double-digit win in Maui.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
After spending some time in the hospital battling pneumonia, legendary coach Jerry Tarkanian is leaving the hospital.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Florida Gulf Coast suspended a key player for three games on Monday.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Baylor lost a commitment from a 2015 guard.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)