Nov 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
If you don’t know who Jack Taylor is by now, you’re in for a treat. We got a great Morning Mix lined up for you today. Enjoy.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
2:30 p.m. – Mississippi State vs. Texas
4:00 p.m. – Auburn @ Boston College
5:00 p.m. – Marquette vs. USC
7:00 p.m. – George Washington @ Notre Dame
7:00 p.m. – Morehead State @ No. 8 Kentucky
7:00 p.m. – Princeton @ No. 6 Syracuse
8:00 p.m. – Delaware vs. Kansas State
8:00 p.m. – UNC-Wilmington @ Purdue
9:00 p.m. – Eastern Washington @ USC-Upstate
9:30 p.m. – No. 4 Michigan vs. Pittsburgh
10:30 p.m. – Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ No. 22 San Diego State
2:00 a.m. – Belmont @ Alaska-Anchorage
Division-III guard Jack Taylor scored 138 points last night: Yup, that’s right. Grinnell College senior Jack Taylor shot 52-108 from the floor and 27-71 from three en route to a 179-104 win over Faith Baptist Bible College. This is just insane. Incredible. Jack Taylor, you sire are my hero.
Exclusive interview with Jack Taylor: Jack Taylor was kind enough to spend a few moments with NBC Sports following his historic performance. He says he stopped counting after 50. Welcome to the history books, kid.
Texas needs Myck Kabongo, but is he the answer?: The Longhorns have had a rough go of things in Maui, losing to Chaminade and USC in back-to-game days. However, they were without their best player, Myck Kobongo who is being investigated by the NCAA. But when Kabongo returns, will he be enough to fix the Longhorns’ issues?
Cody Zeller’s stats may go down this year, but that’s a good thing: With all the talent surrounding Cody Zeller at Indiana, his numbers are likely to decrease this year. But considering he has so much talent around him, this won’t necessarily be a bad thing.
– Tough news for Penn State, as their star player Tim Frazier will miss the rest of the season due to an Achilles injury he suffered against Akron on Sunday (Eye On College Basketball)
– Michigan State freshman guard Gary Harris is expected to miss the next two weeks because of a shoulder injury (Mlive.com)
– Indiana is still waiting to hear from the NCAA regarding the suspension appeals of Hanner Mosquera-Perea and Peter Jurkin (Hoosier Scoop)
Observations & Insight:
– Rutgers’ decision to leave the Big East leaves an uncertain future for basketball-only members (New Jersey Star Ledger)
– A great read on the roller coaster ride that Hofstra guard Shaq Stokes has been on (Big Apple Buckets)
– Luke Winn learned a lot from the Georgetown/Indiana game. He kind enough to share his knowledge with us (Sports Illustrated)
– Georgetown isn’t ranked in the top-25, but after a successful trip to Brooklyn, it’s clear that the Hoyas are one of the 20 best teams in the country (ESPN)
– Advanced statistics from JAck Taylor’s performance. Be warned. These numbers may literally blow your mind (Basketball Prospectus)
– As the UCLA Bruins continue to develop this season, the Anderson/Muhammad chemistry will be a key to success (SNY.tv)
News & Notes:
– You’re kidding me right? Virginia and Boston College to the B1G? Jim Delaney clearly isn’t done making moves yet. (Corn Nation)
– Morehead State head coach Sean Woods has apologized for his critical comments regarding the current culture of college players. the head coach was a member of Kentucky’s “Unforgettables” 1991-1992 squad (Courier-Journal)
– The NCAA is taking a hard stance on former-Miami players that were linked to former-booster Nevin Shapiro (Miami Herald)
– The Georgetown/Florida game that was prematurely cancelled aboard the USS Bataan may end up getting rescheduled (USA Today)
Dunk of the Day: Ben McLemore has no problem dunking over his own teammates (Ballin’ is a Habit)
Video(s) of the Day:
Nasty scuffle results in six ejections during the Southern Illinois/SIU-Edwardsville game last night (OVC Ball)
Video(s) of the Day:
Rotnei Clarke’s buzzer-beater may have just been topped thanks to Georgia State’s Rashaad Richardson and his half-court buzzer-beater to knock off Tennessee State 59-57
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
May 22, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
Fox has led the Bulldogs to two NCAA tournament appearances in his six years as head coach, including last season’s 21-win team.
May 22, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
The Rutgers perimeter rotation may be crowded, but there’s plenty of room for contributions as the team won just ten games last season.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
UNC now has 90 days to craft a response to the NCAA’s allegations.
May 22, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
This isn’t the only addition UConn hopes to make to the 2016 class in the very near future.
May 22, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
The Wildcats will also take on Arizona State, UCLA and Ohio State in non-conference play.
May 22, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Mohamed and Bakersfield big man Aly Ahmed argued in 2013 that bad advice led to them being ruled ineligible that season at Houston and Bakersfield, respectively.
May 21, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
The slender forward joins Sacha Killeya-Jones, Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy in Virginia’s 2016 haul.
May 21, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
Davis joins grassroots teammate C.J. Williamson Jr. in Texas Tech’s 2015 recruiting haul.
May 21, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
UNC fell short in the race for Brandon Ingram, and the investigation was a big reason why.
May 21, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
John Calipari will coach against former assistant Orlando Antigua November 27 in Miami.
May 21, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
The Jonesboro, Georgia native averaged 11.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game as a redshirt junior at UALR.
May 21, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Last spring Mark Turgeon was seen by some as being on the “hot seat.” This spring, one sports book believes he’s got the early favorite to win the national title in 2016.
May 21, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
Thanks a lot, Christian.
May 21, 2015, 2:09 PM EDT
Cal is always selling his program, and his latest viral quote is no different.
May 21, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
It’s not as weird as it sounds.
May 21, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Holman was expected to spend 2015-16 at a prep school.
May 21, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
These are pretty funny.
May 21, 2015, 10:34 AM EDT
But this overt display of ‘amateurism’ may actually be good for the fight for student-athlete rights.
May 21, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The Red Storm are now up to seven newcomers with this addition.
May 20, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
While Chicago has been discussed for quite some time as a franchise that may approach “The Mayor,” they still have a head coach in Tom Thibodeau.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 1
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)