Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 PM EST
You remember Zay Jackson, right?
The Murray State guard that ran a couple of people over in a Walmart parking lot earlier this year?
Well, his story has taken another turn for the weird.
Originally, it looked like the Racers were going to try and find a way to keep Jackson on the team this season, but once the video linked above went viral, Murray State had no choice but to suspend him for the year. Jackson originally agreed to a plea bargain, but on the day that the details of the plea were supposed to be finalized, the judge in the case recused himself. Apparently, he has some ties to Murray State and didn’t want those ties to be seen as the reason that Jackson was getting off lightly, as the victims of his attack claimed.
Turns out, that was bad news for Jackson.
Because the new judge laid down the hammer:
Jackson was offered one year in jail with possible shock probation when Judge Craig Clymer took over his case. At the hearing, Jackson rejected the agreement and decided to start the trial from the beginning without a plea.
The original diversion program from Foust gave Jackson 30 days in jail to be served on the weekends, along with several other behavioral programs. Foust left the trial after his ties to Murray State were allegedly questioned.
Jackson went from 30 days in jail served on the weekends to a year behind bars.
It’s no surprise that he rejected the new deal.
But it also shouldn’t be a surprise if he ends up being found guilty.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)