Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
You remember Zay Jackson, right?
The Murray State guard that ran a couple of people over in a Walmart parking lot earlier this year?
Well, his story has taken another turn for the weird.
Originally, it looked like the Racers were going to try and find a way to keep Jackson on the team this season, but once the video linked above went viral, Murray State had no choice but to suspend him for the year. Jackson originally agreed to a plea bargain, but on the day that the details of the plea were supposed to be finalized, the judge in the case recused himself. Apparently, he has some ties to Murray State and didn’t want those ties to be seen as the reason that Jackson was getting off lightly, as the victims of his attack claimed.
Turns out, that was bad news for Jackson.
Because the new judge laid down the hammer:
Jackson was offered one year in jail with possible shock probation when Judge Craig Clymer took over his case. At the hearing, Jackson rejected the agreement and decided to start the trial from the beginning without a plea.
The original diversion program from Foust gave Jackson 30 days in jail to be served on the weekends, along with several other behavioral programs. Foust left the trial after his ties to Murray State were allegedly questioned.
Jackson went from 30 days in jail served on the weekends to a year behind bars.
It’s no surprise that he rejected the new deal.
But it also shouldn’t be a surprise if he ends up being found guilty.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona