Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
You remember Zay Jackson, right?
The Murray State guard that ran a couple of people over in a Walmart parking lot earlier this year?
Well, his story has taken another turn for the weird.
Originally, it looked like the Racers were going to try and find a way to keep Jackson on the team this season, but once the video linked above went viral, Murray State had no choice but to suspend him for the year. Jackson originally agreed to a plea bargain, but on the day that the details of the plea were supposed to be finalized, the judge in the case recused himself. Apparently, he has some ties to Murray State and didn’t want those ties to be seen as the reason that Jackson was getting off lightly, as the victims of his attack claimed.
Turns out, that was bad news for Jackson.
Because the new judge laid down the hammer:
Jackson was offered one year in jail with possible shock probation when Judge Craig Clymer took over his case. At the hearing, Jackson rejected the agreement and decided to start the trial from the beginning without a plea.
The original diversion program from Foust gave Jackson 30 days in jail to be served on the weekends, along with several other behavioral programs. Foust left the trial after his ties to Murray State were allegedly questioned.
Jackson went from 30 days in jail served on the weekends to a year behind bars.
It’s no surprise that he rejected the new deal.
But it also shouldn’t be a surprise if he ends up being found guilty.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)