Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT
You remember Zay Jackson, right?
The Murray State guard that ran a couple of people over in a Walmart parking lot earlier this year?
Well, his story has taken another turn for the weird.
Originally, it looked like the Racers were going to try and find a way to keep Jackson on the team this season, but once the video linked above went viral, Murray State had no choice but to suspend him for the year. Jackson originally agreed to a plea bargain, but on the day that the details of the plea were supposed to be finalized, the judge in the case recused himself. Apparently, he has some ties to Murray State and didn’t want those ties to be seen as the reason that Jackson was getting off lightly, as the victims of his attack claimed.
Turns out, that was bad news for Jackson.
Because the new judge laid down the hammer:
Jackson was offered one year in jail with possible shock probation when Judge Craig Clymer took over his case. At the hearing, Jackson rejected the agreement and decided to start the trial from the beginning without a plea.
The original diversion program from Foust gave Jackson 30 days in jail to be served on the weekends, along with several other behavioral programs. Foust left the trial after his ties to Murray State were allegedly questioned.
Jackson went from 30 days in jail served on the weekends to a year behind bars.
It’s no surprise that he rejected the new deal.
But it also shouldn’t be a surprise if he ends up being found guilty.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)