Nov 21, 2012, 4:07 PM EST
You remember Zay Jackson, right?
The Murray State guard that ran a couple of people over in a Walmart parking lot earlier this year?
Well, his story has taken another turn for the weird.
Originally, it looked like the Racers were going to try and find a way to keep Jackson on the team this season, but once the video linked above went viral, Murray State had no choice but to suspend him for the year. Jackson originally agreed to a plea bargain, but on the day that the details of the plea were supposed to be finalized, the judge in the case recused himself. Apparently, he has some ties to Murray State and didn’t want those ties to be seen as the reason that Jackson was getting off lightly, as the victims of his attack claimed.
Turns out, that was bad news for Jackson.
Because the new judge laid down the hammer:
Jackson was offered one year in jail with possible shock probation when Judge Craig Clymer took over his case. At the hearing, Jackson rejected the agreement and decided to start the trial from the beginning without a plea.
The original diversion program from Foust gave Jackson 30 days in jail to be served on the weekends, along with several other behavioral programs. Foust left the trial after his ties to Murray State were allegedly questioned.
Jackson went from 30 days in jail served on the weekends to a year behind bars.
It’s no surprise that he rejected the new deal.
But it also shouldn’t be a surprise if he ends up being found guilty.
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)