Nov 22, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Morehead State acquitted itself quite well for much of their 81-70 loss at Kentucky on Wednesday night, but because of an on-court altercation involving head coach Sean Woods and point guard Devon Atkinson few have discussed the game itself.
It’s been reported today that the school is looking into Woods’ behavior during that moment, and possible disciplinary measures could come as soon as Friday.
Woods, in his first season at Morehead State after spending five seasons at Mississippi Valley State, was also seen during the Eagles’ November 12 game at Maryland yelling in the face of center Chad Posthumus.
It will be interesting to see how the school addresses this, but to say the least this isn’t the best way for a coach to begin his first season on the job. Woods led Mississippi Valley State to the NCAA tournament last season and the Delta Devils improved their win total in each of his four seasons at the school.
Morehead State was picked to finish fourth in the East Division of the OVC due in large part to the presence of 13 newcomers, but there is some talent at Woods’ disposal. Milton Chavis scored 23 points off the bench last night, and as a team the Eagles grabbed 16 offensive rebounds against the bigger Wildcats.
Morehead State is capable of surprising some people in the OVC, but having to deal with issues such as this one don’t help matters. The sooner this gets resolved the better.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)