Nov 23, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
San Diego State could be without its second-leading scorer, as senior guard Chase Tapley left Friday afternoon’s practice with what head coach Steve Fisher described as “tendon knee strain.”
According to a report from Mark Ziegler of the San Diego Tribune, Fisher said that he is unsure if Tapley will play Sunday against USC. The severity of the injury is unknown and Fisher doesn’t even know if he could play Dec. 1 against UCLA.
An hour following the injury, Fisher stated that Tapley had some mobility to it.
“Your heart goes right up above your Adam’s apple,” said Fisher. “You have such empathy for a player like Chase who has worked so long and hard and had such a wonderful career that you say, “Get up, get up, get up.’ You hope that they get up. Our hope now is that he’ll be able to play very quickly.”
Senior James Rahon, junior Xavier Thames, and sophomore Dwayne Polee could all be asked to step into the 6-foot-3 Tapley’s role if he is unable to go for Sunday and potentially beyond that. Tapley is averaging 11.8 points, five rebounds, and 2.5 steals per game for the Aztecs, who enter Sunday’s matchup with USC with a 3-1 record.
San Diego State did receive good news as freshman Winston Shepard returns from a three-game suspension. The 6-foot-8 Shepard missed the last three games after receiving impermissible benefits.
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 8
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)