Nov 23, 2012, 10:52 PM EDT
San Diego State could be without its second-leading scorer, as senior guard Chase Tapley left Friday afternoon’s practice with what head coach Steve Fisher described as “tendon knee strain.”
According to a report from Mark Ziegler of the San Diego Tribune, Fisher said that he is unsure if Tapley will play Sunday against USC. The severity of the injury is unknown and Fisher doesn’t even know if he could play Dec. 1 against UCLA.
An hour following the injury, Fisher stated that Tapley had some mobility to it.
“Your heart goes right up above your Adam’s apple,” said Fisher. “You have such empathy for a player like Chase who has worked so long and hard and had such a wonderful career that you say, “Get up, get up, get up.’ You hope that they get up. Our hope now is that he’ll be able to play very quickly.”
Senior James Rahon, junior Xavier Thames, and sophomore Dwayne Polee could all be asked to step into the 6-foot-3 Tapley’s role if he is unable to go for Sunday and potentially beyond that. Tapley is averaging 11.8 points, five rebounds, and 2.5 steals per game for the Aztecs, who enter Sunday’s matchup with USC with a 3-1 record.
San Diego State did receive good news as freshman Winston Shepard returns from a three-game suspension. The 6-foot-8 Shepard missed the last three games after receiving impermissible benefits.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)