Nov 23, 2012, 3:27 PM EST
With J.P. Kuhlman sidelined with an ankle injury and preseason Southern Conference Player of the Year Jake Cohen picking up two fouls in the first seven minutes of the game, Davidson needed someone to step up in their Old Spice Classic semifinal game against West Virginia.
Junior guard Chris Czerapowicz did just that for the Wildcats, as he tallied 15 points and nine rebounds to help lead Davidson to the 63-60 victory. Davidson advances to Sunday’s title game, where they will play either No. 17 Gonzaga or Oklahoma.
Cohen, who played just 13 minutes due to foul trouble, finished with 11 points and reigning SoCon Player of the Year De’Mon Brooks scored 12 points and racked up five steals.
Juwan Staten led West Virginia with 15 points, but his attempt to tie the game in the final seconds rattled off the rim in the final seconds. Gary Browne scored 11 points off the bench and Deniz Kilicli added ten points and 11 rebounds.
Like Davidson’s Cohen, West Virginia forward Aaric Murray was saddled with foul trouble for much of his time on the floor and finished with six points and eight rebounds before fouling out.
This is a good win for the Wildcats from a “resume-building” standpoint, but the biggest aspect of the victory was the fact that Bob McKillop’s team held on to win despite the absence of Kuhlman and Cohen’s foul trouble.
Czerapowicz, who averaged 10.1 points per game last season, was a major reason for that and his three-pointer with 54 seconds remaining gave Davidson a 61-57 lead just when it looked as if West Virginia had the Wildcats on the ropes.
Brooks and Cohen may have found a way to reach double figures, but if not for the 6-7 Czerapowicz Davidson would likely be preparing for the third place game instead of the final.
Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners
Mar 1, 2015, 2:11 AM EST
No. 1 Kentucky moved to 29-0, and No. 6 Villanova came back to win at Xavier.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:18 AM EST
Will the Zags even stay out west?
Mar 1, 2015, 12:43 AM EST
In a game that saw both teams struggle to find their rhythm, “Zeus” and Gabe York came up big for Arizona.
Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State?
Mar 1, 2015, 12:27 AM EST
All the bubble winners and losers from Saturday’s college hoops action.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:58 PM EST
This came close to being really, really bad.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Dwayne Polee II had to sit out Saturday’s loss to Boise State as a result of an abnormal reading generated by his cardiac monitor.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:42 PM EST
With the loss Texas drops to 1-11 in games against teams in the RPI Top 50.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST
The Cyclones lost at home against Baylor and then lost at Kansas State.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
Kentucky has now won 46 SEC titles, and this group looks poised to add more hardware to the trophy case before the season concludes.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Having just seven scholarship players hasn’t kept the Flyers from playing a major role in the Atlantic 10 race.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
The Shockers are once again champions of the Valley.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Kansas will be without Cliff Alexander against Texas on Saturday.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Jake Layman didn’t want to get dunked on.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
Robbie Berwick is not going to like seeing this highlight.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Auburn will be without second-leading scorer Antoine Mason as he deals with the death of his father.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Marist’s Khallid Hart made the game-winning layup with 1.5 seconds left for the win.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A huge Saturday with 150 games and a lot of bubble action.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Here’s the rundown from Friday night.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
An off-campus altercation back in 2010 led to a year-long suspension for the Villanova forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Jim Boeheim goes back almost nine years to describe Rakeem Christmas’ importance to this year’s team.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)