Nov 23, 2012, 12:38 AM EDT
No. 2 Louisville knocked off Northern Iowa 51-46 in the first round of the Battle 4 Atlantis on Thursday night in a game that was just as ugly as we expected. The two teams combined to shoot 32.4% from the floor, 26.8% from three and turn the ball over 41 times. (Although, somewhat surprisingly, there were only 29 fouls called and 19 foul shots taken.)
Louisville used a 21-2 run over 10 minutes that spanned both halves, opening up a 40-22 lead on the usually stingy Panthers. But you better believe that the Panthers had a run in them, as they immediately answered with a 22-5 run that cut Louisville’s lead to 45-44 with two minutes left.
The Cardinals pulled away in the final minutes, with an and-one lay-up from Russ Smith being the dagger.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Frankly, there really wasn’t much to take out of this game that we didn’t already know heading in.
Louisville is going to be a tough team to play due to their size and athleticism inside and the pesky, quick defenders at the front of their press. They are going to be a tough team to watch offensively, at least early in the season, as Rick Pitino’s club figures out what, exactly, they want to do and what they are capable of doing offensively. Right now, the Cardinals are not a team that can be counted on to score a lot of points.
Northern Iowa also wasn’t a secret heading into the season if you were paying attention. They are probably the second best team in the Missouri Valley, and there were some out there that thought the Panthers had a real chance to win this game. They have size, they defend, they are experienced and they have a couple of talented, veteran guards. That’s a good combination.
Smith finished with 16 points, five assists, five boards and four steals for Louisville, who will play Missouri at 9:30 ET tomorrow night in the semifinals.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)