Nov 24, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
BYU fans want top recruit Jabari Parker to be a Cougar. Badly.
That’s why, when BYU tips off against Cal State Northridge on Saturday night, a game Parker is expected to be in attendance for, 6,300 fans will be sporting T-shirts that read “Chicago to Provo”.
The T-shirts are a reference to Parker’s hometown and BYU’s Utah home, accompanied by an illustration of the Chicago skyline fading into the mountains.
The funding for the idea was the work of a website called CougarBoard.com and helped by the work of two BYU fans, Greg Welch and Tony Brown.
“I have a Twitter account, a few blogs like any crazy fan has these days, and the community I’m involved with thought, ‘What can we do to roll out the red carpet for him?’ ” Welch told ESPNChicago.com. ” ‘What can we do to add to the excitement when he is here?’ Our goal is for there to be electricity in the building and (Saturday) night is a special environment.”
Parker is also considering Stanford, Florida, Michigan State, and Duke. He received an equally unique welcome when he visited Duke last month, when fans spray-painted “Jabari, Welcome Home” on a bed sheet and hung it on campus.
The Cougars, though from a smaller program, are in an interesting situation for Parker, as his father explained to ESPNChicago.com.
“Remember he belongs to the Church of Latter-Day Saints,” he said. “They got one of the winningest programs in the last 4-5 years if you look at their record. They average 25 wins a year. They don’t get the recognition of others. Their conference isn’t that bad. Remember they had the player of the year in Jimmer Fredette. They have a real good program.”
Parker is expected to make his decision in the coming months.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)