Nov 24, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Kevin Ollie has the Connecticut Huskies playing well in his first season as the head coach in Storrs, but he’ll have to overcome some injuries to his players that could hurt his bench’s depth, moving forward.
Senior guard R.J. Evans will miss “significant time,” according to the school, after suffering a sternoclavicular sprain. The sprain is at the point where the collarbone meets the sternum, the bone at the center of one’s ribcage.
Evans had been averaging 5.8 points and 1.6 steals in close to 21 minutes per game for the Huskies so far in 2012-13. His best game of the season came Nov. 13 against Vermont, when he scored 11 points on 5-of-5 shooting from the field.
The school also announced that freshman forward Leon Tolksdorf is day-to-day with a sprained LCL in his knee.
Tolksdorf, a native of Germany, has appeared in games against Vermont and Wake Forest this year for UConn, scoring one point in four minutes against the Demon Deacons.
Connecticut is coming off a loss to New Mexico, its first loss of the season, and returns to the floor against Stony Brook Sunday at 4 p.m.
- Seven must-watch NCAA tournament Round of 64 games 0
- South Region Preview: Can anyone stop the Florida Gators? 0
- East Region Preview: Are Michigan State and Iowa State the two best teams? 1
- West Region Preview: Arizona rules, but chaos could reign 2
- Midwest Region Preview: Is 4-seed Louisville the favorite? 2
- POSTERIZED: Dunks of the Year compilation missing the Dunk of the Year (VIDEO) 0
- TV schedules, announcer pairings for 2014 NCAA Tournament 0
- Conference breakdown for 2014 NCAA Tournament 0
- Should Virginia be the fourth one-seed? 6
- Florida, Wichita State, Arizona, Virginia claim No. 1 seeds 2
- Was Duke’s Rodney Hood fouled by Clemson? You make the call (VIDEO) (21)
- Bracketology: Final No. 1 seed still a question mark (16)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Big Ten Tournament: Michigan survives furious Ohio State comeback (9)
- 2014 NCAA Tournament South Region: Instant Analysis (9)