Nov 24, 2012, 12:29 AM EST
Things have been looking up for Michigan State following a season-opening loss to UConn in Germany. The Spartans have won four straight and late Friday night, Tom Izzo and his club received some good news regarding a pair of guards.
According to Diamond Leung of MLive.com, sophomore guard Travis Trice will return for Wednesday’s game against Miami (FL). Freshman guard Gary Harris will miss at least two weeks, recovering from a shoulder injury suffered in Tuesday’s win over Boise State, but the talented freshman will avoid surgery.
“We’ve got some worries there yet, but it was a big relief that he didn’t need surgery, and he is a tough kid,” Izzo told Leung. ” He wants to be able to shoot already.”
Entering the win against Boise State, the 6-foot-4 Harris was averaging 16 points per game. Trice, hasn’t played since the season’s first game against UConn, a game where he suffered a concussion and broken nose. According to Leung, the 6-foot-0 Trice has yet to return to practice, but did take part in a light workout or shooting and riding a bike.
Michigan State plays Louisiana-Lafayette on Sunday, but will “definitely” play in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge against the Hurricanes next week.
The return of Michigan State’s young backcourt talent will compliment the play of junior point guard Keith Appling, who is averaging 15.5 points and 4.5 assists so far this season.
Trice has only played 18 minutes this season. Harris had made immediate contributions, even earning Big Ten Freshmen of the Week honors for his play against Kansas and Texas Southern.
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)