Nov 24, 2012, 12:29 AM EDT
Things have been looking up for Michigan State following a season-opening loss to UConn in Germany. The Spartans have won four straight and late Friday night, Tom Izzo and his club received some good news regarding a pair of guards.
According to Diamond Leung of MLive.com, sophomore guard Travis Trice will return for Wednesday’s game against Miami (FL). Freshman guard Gary Harris will miss at least two weeks, recovering from a shoulder injury suffered in Tuesday’s win over Boise State, but the talented freshman will avoid surgery.
“We’ve got some worries there yet, but it was a big relief that he didn’t need surgery, and he is a tough kid,” Izzo told Leung. ” He wants to be able to shoot already.”
Entering the win against Boise State, the 6-foot-4 Harris was averaging 16 points per game. Trice, hasn’t played since the season’s first game against UConn, a game where he suffered a concussion and broken nose. According to Leung, the 6-foot-0 Trice has yet to return to practice, but did take part in a light workout or shooting and riding a bike.
Michigan State plays Louisiana-Lafayette on Sunday, but will “definitely” play in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge against the Hurricanes next week.
The return of Michigan State’s young backcourt talent will compliment the play of junior point guard Keith Appling, who is averaging 15.5 points and 4.5 assists so far this season.
Trice has only played 18 minutes this season. Harris had made immediate contributions, even earning Big Ten Freshmen of the Week honors for his play against Kansas and Texas Southern.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)