Nov 24, 2012, 1:35 PM EST
Missouri guard Michael Dixon watched from the sidelines in street clothes as his Tigers lost to Louisville in the semifinals of the Battle 4 Atlantis Friday night.
Dixon continues to sit out after being suspended by coach Frank Haith for a violation of team rules. His suspension is close to reaching the one-month mark, with no direct indication of when it will end.
But the real news Friday in regards to Dixon is what he said after the game via Twitter. As recorded by the Columbia Tribune before the tweets were deleted, Dixon (@M1keD1xonJR) said the following:
“Our team fought hard. I wish I could b out there helping them. I’VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!”
He has since retweeted two tweets that include the “#FreeMikeDixon” hashtag, perhaps endorsing a belief in his own innocence.
Haith has not been specific about what exact team rule was broken that caused Dixon’s suspension, but was vague in the announcement of the news last month.
“These are violations of team rules, not NCAA-related,” Haith said on Oct. 26. “It’s more about the everyday choices we make and the cumulative impact it has on our ability to be good stewards of the Mizzou brand.”
Former Kansas City Star Missouri beat writer Mike DeArmond, newly retired, gave his take on the issue in a series of messages via Twitter this morning.
“Dixon sit as I understand: Girl cries rape on Twitter. Dixon apparently has contradictory tweets,” he wrote.
“Law said no case. MU student board … Voted for discipline of Dixon. He is suspened [sic]. Worries over law suits from both parties for MU. My guess: susp thru end of semester … Shows school takes situation seriously. But letting him play after that avoids legal action by Dixon. All this just my thoughts, nothin more.”
Missouri takes on VCU Saturday in the third-place game at the Battle 4 Atlantis.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)