Nov 24, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
Missouri guard Michael Dixon watched from the sidelines in street clothes as his Tigers lost to Louisville in the semifinals of the Battle 4 Atlantis Friday night.
Dixon continues to sit out after being suspended by coach Frank Haith for a violation of team rules. His suspension is close to reaching the one-month mark, with no direct indication of when it will end.
But the real news Friday in regards to Dixon is what he said after the game via Twitter. As recorded by the Columbia Tribune before the tweets were deleted, Dixon (@M1keD1xonJR) said the following:
“Our team fought hard. I wish I could b out there helping them. I’VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!”
He has since retweeted two tweets that include the “#FreeMikeDixon” hashtag, perhaps endorsing a belief in his own innocence.
Haith has not been specific about what exact team rule was broken that caused Dixon’s suspension, but was vague in the announcement of the news last month.
“These are violations of team rules, not NCAA-related,” Haith said on Oct. 26. “It’s more about the everyday choices we make and the cumulative impact it has on our ability to be good stewards of the Mizzou brand.”
Former Kansas City Star Missouri beat writer Mike DeArmond, newly retired, gave his take on the issue in a series of messages via Twitter this morning.
“Dixon sit as I understand: Girl cries rape on Twitter. Dixon apparently has contradictory tweets,” he wrote.
“Law said no case. MU student board … Voted for discipline of Dixon. He is suspened [sic]. Worries over law suits from both parties for MU. My guess: susp thru end of semester … Shows school takes situation seriously. But letting him play after that avoids legal action by Dixon. All this just my thoughts, nothin more.”
Missouri takes on VCU Saturday in the third-place game at the Battle 4 Atlantis.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)