Nov 24, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
Missouri guard Michael Dixon watched from the sidelines in street clothes as his Tigers lost to Louisville in the semifinals of the Battle 4 Atlantis Friday night.
Dixon continues to sit out after being suspended by coach Frank Haith for a violation of team rules. His suspension is close to reaching the one-month mark, with no direct indication of when it will end.
But the real news Friday in regards to Dixon is what he said after the game via Twitter. As recorded by the Columbia Tribune before the tweets were deleted, Dixon (@M1keD1xonJR) said the following:
“Our team fought hard. I wish I could b out there helping them. I’VE DONE NOTHING WRONG!”
He has since retweeted two tweets that include the “#FreeMikeDixon” hashtag, perhaps endorsing a belief in his own innocence.
Haith has not been specific about what exact team rule was broken that caused Dixon’s suspension, but was vague in the announcement of the news last month.
“These are violations of team rules, not NCAA-related,” Haith said on Oct. 26. “It’s more about the everyday choices we make and the cumulative impact it has on our ability to be good stewards of the Mizzou brand.”
Former Kansas City Star Missouri beat writer Mike DeArmond, newly retired, gave his take on the issue in a series of messages via Twitter this morning.
“Dixon sit as I understand: Girl cries rape on Twitter. Dixon apparently has contradictory tweets,” he wrote.
“Law said no case. MU student board … Voted for discipline of Dixon. He is suspened [sic]. Worries over law suits from both parties for MU. My guess: susp thru end of semester … Shows school takes situation seriously. But letting him play after that avoids legal action by Dixon. All this just my thoughts, nothin more.”
Missouri takes on VCU Saturday in the third-place game at the Battle 4 Atlantis.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)