Nov 25, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
How late did you stay up last night? Was it late enough to catch a 12:30 a.m. ET tip-off?
If you didn’t, we don’t blame you, but you missed Charlotte’s 67-59 victory over Northeastern to win the Great Alaska Shootout title in Anchorage.
“Just an honor. For this tournament being 35 years old,” Charlotte coach Alan Major said on winning the championship. “I’m really happy for JT Thompson. Last time he was here, he lost to Butler in OT. He said before the game, ‘How many chances in life do you get to go back and finish something?’ So I’m happy for him, but it’s just an honor to have a banner in here among some pretty elite company.”
The Great Alaska Shootout might not be the tournament that it used to be, eclipsed by the Maui Invitational and, more recently, what looks to be a perennially strong field in Atlantis, but Charlotte defeated Texas State, Oral Roberts, and Northeastern to win the title.
The 49ers improve to 6-0 on the season and return home to take on East Carolina on Dec. 1.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)