Nov 25, 2012, 10:59 PM EDT
To say the least it was not a good weekend for Louisville fans in regards to news about key players and wrist injuries.
On Saturday it was starting quarterback Teddy Bridgewater who broke his left wrist, and on Sunday night it was announced by the program that the basketball team will be without an important player for the foreseeable future.
Starting center Gorgui Dieng, who sat out the Cardinals’ loss to Duke in the Battle 4 Atlantis title game with the wrist injury, broke the scaphoid bone in his left wrist taking a charge in Friday’s semifinal against Missouri.
According to the school release Dieng will see a hand specialist on Monday, and he’ll determine the timeframe of Dieng’s recovery.
Dieng, who was on the preseason lists for both the Wooden and Naismith awards, is averaging 8.2 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per contest for the 5-1 Cardinals, who are off until Saturday when they host Illinois State.
Losing their best interior defender is a tough blow for the Cardinals, especially if Dieng were to be out until the start of Big East play. Louisville still has non-conference games against Memphis (December 15) and Kentucky (December 29), and that December 4 contest against College of Charleston shouldn’t be overlooked either.
But Rick Pitino isn’t lacking for depth. Chane Behanan, Montrezl Harrell and Stephen Van Treese all saw action in the Bahamas, and now they’ll be asked to do more. If they’re ready for more responsibility the Cardinals should be in good shape, especially when considering perimeter weapons such as Peyton Siva and Russ Smith.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
Former Illinois women’s basketball players file lawsuit against athletic director, head coach and former assistant
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
AD Mike Thomas stated in May that there would be an investigation into the allegations.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)