Nov 26, 2012, 11:20 PM EST
Holy Jeff Withey.
Kansas senior big man went insane for the No. 10-ranked Jayhawks tonight, recording the second triple-double in school history with 16 points, 12 rebounds and a school-record 12 blocks in a 70-57 victory over San Jose State.
What has to stand out is the 12 blocks, which is the elusive “big man triple double”.
A lot is expected of Withey this season, a fifth-year senior who was probably the best shot blocker in the nation not named Anthony Davis last season. This definitely the way to start the season for the potential National Defensive Player of the Year. Just as impressive may have been that with the ball in his hands so much, Withey only committed two turnovers and one foul.
He was 7-for-11 from the field and, in what could be seen as his only real negative, was only 2-for-6 from the free throw line. Not that it really mattered. Also, 10 of Withey’s boards were on the defensive end.
On the other side, Jame Kinney dropped in a game-high 30 points for the Spartans on 11-of-26 shooting.
But the big story, obviously, is Withey’s assault on the stat sheet for Kansas. It was the only game featuring a Top 10 team on the night, and that definitely was ok.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)