Nov 26, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
Holy Jeff Withey.
Kansas senior big man went insane for the No. 10-ranked Jayhawks tonight, recording the second triple-double in school history with 16 points, 12 rebounds and a school-record 12 blocks in a 70-57 victory over San Jose State.
What has to stand out is the 12 blocks, which is the elusive “big man triple double”.
A lot is expected of Withey this season, a fifth-year senior who was probably the best shot blocker in the nation not named Anthony Davis last season. This definitely the way to start the season for the potential National Defensive Player of the Year. Just as impressive may have been that with the ball in his hands so much, Withey only committed two turnovers and one foul.
He was 7-for-11 from the field and, in what could be seen as his only real negative, was only 2-for-6 from the free throw line. Not that it really mattered. Also, 10 of Withey’s boards were on the defensive end.
On the other side, Jame Kinney dropped in a game-high 30 points for the Spartans on 11-of-26 shooting.
But the big story, obviously, is Withey’s assault on the stat sheet for Kansas. It was the only game featuring a Top 10 team on the night, and that definitely was ok.
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 1
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 3
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 8
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 84
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (84)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)