Nov 26, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
One of America’s top high school basketball recruits is set to miss three months with a foot fracture.
According to Jason Jordan of USAToday, Julius Randle will miss that amount of time after injuring his foot in a Thanksgiving tournament while playing for his prep team, Prestonwood (Texas) Christian. The news comes straight from Randle’s mother, Carolyn Kyles.
It’s a minor setback, but Julius is a fighter,” Kyles said. “We’ve already begun to set up rehabilitation for him and he’s a naturally a little down now, but he’ll be back before you know it.
Randle will undergo surgery Tuesday afternoon. He is a consensus top 5 recruit in the nation according to multiple recruiting services.
It’s a tough situation for Randle, but I can’t see it affecting his recruitment. All the top teams like Kentucky, Florida and Kansas are vying for his services, and that won’t change. If the kid is already starting his rehab and making strides, then there’s a firm belief he’ll be ready to go for the summer.
You’ve really got to feel for Prestonwood, a nationally-ranked program with a lot riding on this season and this is the second major injury for the team. According to the report, Prestonwood’s Mickey Mitchell, a top recruit in 2015, tore his ACL playing on the football team and will miss the entire season.
If the timeline holds, however, Randle will be back for the Texas state playoffs.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)