Nov 26, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
One of America’s top high school basketball recruits is set to miss three months with a foot fracture.
According to Jason Jordan of USAToday, Julius Randle will miss that amount of time after injuring his foot in a Thanksgiving tournament while playing for his prep team, Prestonwood (Texas) Christian. The news comes straight from Randle’s mother, Carolyn Kyles.
It’s a minor setback, but Julius is a fighter,” Kyles said. “We’ve already begun to set up rehabilitation for him and he’s a naturally a little down now, but he’ll be back before you know it.
Randle will undergo surgery Tuesday afternoon. He is a consensus top 5 recruit in the nation according to multiple recruiting services.
It’s a tough situation for Randle, but I can’t see it affecting his recruitment. All the top teams like Kentucky, Florida and Kansas are vying for his services, and that won’t change. If the kid is already starting his rehab and making strides, then there’s a firm belief he’ll be ready to go for the summer.
You’ve really got to feel for Prestonwood, a nationally-ranked program with a lot riding on this season and this is the second major injury for the team. According to the report, Prestonwood’s Mickey Mitchell, a top recruit in 2015, tore his ACL playing on the football team and will miss the entire season.
If the timeline holds, however, Randle will be back for the Texas state playoffs.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)