Nov 26, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Game of the night: Oakland at Tennessee, 7 p.m.: Believe it or not, Oakland actually has a two game winning streak against the Vols, but those wins came with Keith Benson and Reggie Hamilton still a part of the Golden Grizzlies. This season, Oakland will have to rely on the play of sharpshooter Travis Bader and Providence transfer Duke Mondy to help them offset the size of Jarnell Stokes inside. Tennessee has been a bit of a disappointment early on this season, but that can be attributed to the injury that Jeronne Maymon is dealing with.
Who’s getting upset: Texas A&M: The Aggies take on Northwestern State of the Southland Conference tonight. Billy Kennedy’s club survived Washington State in the consolation game of the CBE Classic over the weekend, thanks to a game-winner from Elston Turner, but they were run out of the gym by a short-handed St. Louis team the night before. Northwestern State can put up points in a hurry, and are coming off of putting a scare into LSU at LSU — they cut a 20 point lead to four with two minutes left.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Towson at Loyola (MD): The Battle of Baltimore? Loyola is coming off of a season where Jimmy Patsos led the Greyhounds to the NCAA tournament while Towson is coming off of a year where they … well, let’s just that, at 3-2 this season, they’ve already tripled the number of wins they had a year ago. The Tigers have been bolstered by an infusion of talent, both in the form of transfers and high level recruits, so tonight will be a good gauge for where Towson is at this point in the season.
Five things to watch for:
- Morehead State will be hosting Norfolk State tonight, the first time the Eagles have played since head coach Sean Woods had a dust-up with Devon Atkinson on the sidelines at Rupp Arena.
- Savannah State has played six Division I games this season, including trips to Florida and Central Florida. No one has scored more than 60 points in any of those games. There were a combined 77 points scored in their win over Western Illinois. They play Robert Morris tonight at 7 p.m.
- Isaiah Canaan takes the floor against Lipscomb, who has been smacked by both Belmont and Ole Miss early this season. Canaan is averaging 20.6 points this season, but he hasn’t quite gotten played his best basketball yet this season.
- Three undefeated teams that the floor tonight. Colorado State is one of them. The other two? Texas Tech and East Carolina. Who had that?
- I think there’s a new episode of How I Met Your Mother on tonight. I also have quite a bit of TV that needs to be watched on my DVR. With this slate, I wouldn’t blame you.
The rest of the top 25:
9:00 p.m.: San Jose State @ No. 12 Kansas
Other notable games:
7:00 p.m.: Chicago State @ Notre Dame
8:00 p.m.: UMBC @ Marquette
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 4
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)