Nov 26, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Game of the night: Oakland at Tennessee, 7 p.m.: Believe it or not, Oakland actually has a two game winning streak against the Vols, but those wins came with Keith Benson and Reggie Hamilton still a part of the Golden Grizzlies. This season, Oakland will have to rely on the play of sharpshooter Travis Bader and Providence transfer Duke Mondy to help them offset the size of Jarnell Stokes inside. Tennessee has been a bit of a disappointment early on this season, but that can be attributed to the injury that Jeronne Maymon is dealing with.
Who’s getting upset: Texas A&M: The Aggies take on Northwestern State of the Southland Conference tonight. Billy Kennedy’s club survived Washington State in the consolation game of the CBE Classic over the weekend, thanks to a game-winner from Elston Turner, but they were run out of the gym by a short-handed St. Louis team the night before. Northwestern State can put up points in a hurry, and are coming off of putting a scare into LSU at LSU — they cut a 20 point lead to four with two minutes left.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Towson at Loyola (MD): The Battle of Baltimore? Loyola is coming off of a season where Jimmy Patsos led the Greyhounds to the NCAA tournament while Towson is coming off of a year where they … well, let’s just that, at 3-2 this season, they’ve already tripled the number of wins they had a year ago. The Tigers have been bolstered by an infusion of talent, both in the form of transfers and high level recruits, so tonight will be a good gauge for where Towson is at this point in the season.
Five things to watch for:
- Morehead State will be hosting Norfolk State tonight, the first time the Eagles have played since head coach Sean Woods had a dust-up with Devon Atkinson on the sidelines at Rupp Arena.
- Savannah State has played six Division I games this season, including trips to Florida and Central Florida. No one has scored more than 60 points in any of those games. There were a combined 77 points scored in their win over Western Illinois. They play Robert Morris tonight at 7 p.m.
- Isaiah Canaan takes the floor against Lipscomb, who has been smacked by both Belmont and Ole Miss early this season. Canaan is averaging 20.6 points this season, but he hasn’t quite gotten played his best basketball yet this season.
- Three undefeated teams that the floor tonight. Colorado State is one of them. The other two? Texas Tech and East Carolina. Who had that?
- I think there’s a new episode of How I Met Your Mother on tonight. I also have quite a bit of TV that needs to be watched on my DVR. With this slate, I wouldn’t blame you.
The rest of the top 25:
9:00 p.m.: San Jose State @ No. 12 Kansas
Other notable games:
7:00 p.m.: Chicago State @ Notre Dame
8:00 p.m.: UMBC @ Marquette
Aug 30, 2015, 9:52 PM EDT
With Monte’ Morris being a junior and Nick Noskowiak leaving the program, Iowa State needed a point guard in the 2016 class.
Aug 30, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
These games against seasoned competition will help Michigan State in the tough Big Ten this season.
Aug 30, 2015, 7:27 PM EDT
Gbinije averaged 7.3 points and 2.1 rebounds per game at Afrobasket.
Aug 30, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Hill led the team in minutes played last season, and it’s been tough to keep him out of the gym this summer despite attempts to get him to spend some time resting.
Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Notre Dame has a bouncy freshman guard in Rex Pflueger.
Aug 30, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Reid Travis is looking like a potential go-to scorer for the Cardinal this season after some strong outings in Europe.
Aug 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Colorado State is having a rough go of getting great programs to play in their building.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Scottie Lindsey put one on a defender during Northwestern’s trip to Spain.
Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
According to the New York Post, Morton will go back to teaching full-time.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Michigan State scheduled games against three national teams preparing for next month’s Eurobasket championships (Russia, Italy and Georgia).
Aug 29, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
According to head coach Ray Harper, Kristaps Gluditis was regarded as one of the top shooters in Europe.
Aug 29, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Tillie is a skilled forward who will have the chance to contribute immediately in 2016-17 due to the eventual losses of Kyle Wiltjer and Przemek Karnowski (both are seniors this season).
Aug 29, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Theo Pinson makes a bold statement and backs it up by burying a tough shot.
Aug 29, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Washington is losing another player as the team only returns two scholarship players from last season.
Aug 29, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Michigan received some positive news as a key member of the 2014-15 season returned to the floor.
Aug 29, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Seventh Woods still has plenty of highlight plays up his sleeve.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Friday was photo day in Lawrence.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
The Spartans are now 1-1 on the trip.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
It’s Joey van Zegeren’s first year with the Northwestern program.
Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Stanford falls to 1-1 on the foreign tour.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)