Nov 26, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
North Carolina will be down one of its top wings for Tuesday’s game against Indiana.
ESPN.com’s Robbi Pickeral is reporting that sophomore forward P.J. Hairston injured his knee in practice on Sunday and was doubtful to play. Now, the program’s official Twitter account announced he will not play in tomorrow’s game against the no. 1-ranked Hoosiers. Hairston did not even make the trip to Bloomington. Coach Roy Williams didn’t sound very positive from the beginning.
PJ Hairston (sprained left knee) will not travel with #UNCBBall to Indiana tonight and will not play tomorrow vs IU.—
UNC Basketball (@UNC_Basketball) November 26, 2012
“Right now, I don’t think he’s going to practice today,” Williams said. “If he doesn’t practice today, he’s probably not going to play tomorrow.”
Hairston was averaging 10.8 points and 4.2 rebounds for the Tar Heels, who are coming off their third place finish in the Maui Invitational. The injury occurred during dribbling drills, according to teammate Dexter Strickland. The team doesn’t believe the injury is serious.
The loss of the 6-5, 220-pound Hairston will hurt the Heels on the perimeter and in the paint. Hairston’s hit 12 three’s so far this season, tied for second on the team, and is third on the team in scoring despite coming off the bench for all six games so far this season.
Though his best attribute may be he’s versatility, and that’s the biggest loss, per this quote from Williams.
“He’s the only guy (at the wing) that’s worked at the 4,” Williams said. “Nobody else has.”
A guard-heavy rotation might be the way to go with Hairston out, with reserves J.P. Tokoto, Frank Tanner and Luke Davis getting more minutes.
With Hairston out, this could work out well for UNC, with more guards being on the floor to take on Jordan Hulls, Christian Watford and role players like Remy Abell. Though you definitely can’t discount Hairston’s role on the team. It does take a little luster of this heavyweight matchup.
- Hoiberg to Chicago means Iowa State has everything riding on hiring right replacement 2
- Brandon Austin’s latest mistake: using the media to try and garner sympathy 2
- Former Missouri forward Johnathan Williams III transfers to Gonzaga 2
- Reports: #FredHoibergWatch takes another step forward 0
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 44
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 8
- Report: Jeff Hornacek turns down meeting with Iowa State, agent denies report in comments (6)
- Amidst Iowa State rumors, Jeff Hornacek discusses commitment to Phoenix Suns (5)
- Roy Williams says he has not yet seen UNC’s Notice of Allegations (5)
- Report: San Diego State coach Steve Fisher wants to get rid of one-and-done (4)
- Big 12 schools to face penalties for court storming (3)