Nov 27, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
The Atlantic Coast Conference has filed a lawsuit against member school Maryland in a North Carolina court after the school’s announcement last week that it would leave the ACC for the Big Ten.
“We continue to extend our best wishes to the University of Maryland; however, there is the expectation that Maryland will fulfill its exit fee obligation,“ ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement, as reported by The Duke Chronicle. “On Friday, the ACC Council of Presidents made the unanimous decision to file legal action to ensure the enforcement of this obligation.”
According to The Chronicle, the lawsuit is in regards to the $50 million exit fee that the conference imposed on its member schools earlier this year. In the vote that raised the conference’s exit fee, only two schools voted against the measure: Florida State and Maryland.
As CollegeFootballTalk points out, Florida State was rumored to be moving to the Big 12 at the time, and Maryland’s move to the Big Ten took place last week.
This seems to have become a common in the business of realignment, as we have seen the Big East file suit against departing members in the past year. The Big East took such measures against West Virginia before its departure to the Big 12, ultimately allowing the Mountaineers to leave and pay a $5 million exit fee.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)