Nov 27, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
The Atlantic Coast Conference has filed a lawsuit against member school Maryland in a North Carolina court after the school’s announcement last week that it would leave the ACC for the Big Ten.
“We continue to extend our best wishes to the University of Maryland; however, there is the expectation that Maryland will fulfill its exit fee obligation,“ ACC Commissioner John Swofford said in a statement, as reported by The Duke Chronicle. “On Friday, the ACC Council of Presidents made the unanimous decision to file legal action to ensure the enforcement of this obligation.”
According to The Chronicle, the lawsuit is in regards to the $50 million exit fee that the conference imposed on its member schools earlier this year. In the vote that raised the conference’s exit fee, only two schools voted against the measure: Florida State and Maryland.
As CollegeFootballTalk points out, Florida State was rumored to be moving to the Big 12 at the time, and Maryland’s move to the Big Ten took place last week.
This seems to have become a common in the business of realignment, as we have seen the Big East file suit against departing members in the past year. The Big East took such measures against West Virginia before its departure to the Big 12, ultimately allowing the Mountaineers to leave and pay a $5 million exit fee.
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)