Nov 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Game of the night: No. 14 North Carolina vs. No. 1 Indiana
This will be Indiana’s first big test of the season, after winning two games in Brooklyn and capturing the Legends Classic title. Of course, Georgetown (now ranked) is no slouch, but the Tar Heels offer some very good match-ups for IU. Take a look at “Five Things to Watch For” for the McAdoo-Zeller breakdown. Also keep an eye on Marcus Paige vs. Yogi Ferrell, two young guards matching up against each other. Should be a good one at Assembly Hall.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Texas against Sam Houston State
I’m not saying it’ll happen, but keep a look out for it. Without Myck Kabongo in the lineup as he waits for an eligibility ruling from the NCAA, the Longhorns are vulnerable. They lost to both USC and D-II Chaminade in Maui, then came back with a victory over a rebuilding Mississippi State team. Sam Houston kept it close in their opener against Arkansas, so we’ll see what happens.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Lehigh vs. Quinnipiac
QU was able to take Connecticut into double overtime a few weeks back, so can they channel that magic and beat Lehigh? C.J. McCollum, as always, is the focal point for Lehigh. He’s averaging 25.7 points per game on the year.
Five Things to Watch For:
1) James Michael McAdoo vs. Cody Zeller in the post is one of the better one-on-one match-ups we’ve seen so far this year. Preseason All-American vs. forward looking to have a breakout season. Both are expected to be lottery picks in the 2013 NBA draft. Zeller: 15.2 points, 7.7 rebounds. McAdoo: 16.8 points, 8.8 rebounds.
2) Michigan had a good showing in New York City in the NIT Tip-Off, but they have another test waiting for them with NC State. Couple of good match-ups in this one: Lorenzo Brown vs. Trey Burke, TJ Warren vs. Glenn Robinson III.
3) Can Minnesota carry its momentum from Atlantis back to the States? Gophers would like to have Andre Hollins back on track. He scored 41 points against Memphis, but then put up just eight on 1-of-8 shooting from the floor against Stanford.
4) Tulane takes on Loyola New Orleans. In and of itself it’s not a marquee game, but Tulane is headed to the Big East in all sports, as announced today, so expect no shortage of references to that during the broadcast.
5) The backcourt combination of Tray Woodall and James Robinson has been stellar for Pittsburgh. They take on Howard.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 18 NC State vs. No. 3 Michigan
Texas Southern vs. No. 19 Colorado
No. 21 Minnesota vs. Florida State
Other notable games:
Pittsburgh vs. Howard
Maryland vs. Northwestern
Iowa vs. Virginia Tech
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Adala Moto was a top 150 recruit in the class of 2012.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Allen will be one of the keys to Arizona’s season. Click to see why.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Randle talks favorite NBA players and the one-and-done rule.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Kentucky got some good news on Wednesday afternoon.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
He will be eligible immediately.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Not a bad pitch from the UConn star.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Loyd is converting from point guard to wide receiver.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)