Nov 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Game of the night: No. 14 North Carolina vs. No. 1 Indiana
This will be Indiana’s first big test of the season, after winning two games in Brooklyn and capturing the Legends Classic title. Of course, Georgetown (now ranked) is no slouch, but the Tar Heels offer some very good match-ups for IU. Take a look at “Five Things to Watch For” for the McAdoo-Zeller breakdown. Also keep an eye on Marcus Paige vs. Yogi Ferrell, two young guards matching up against each other. Should be a good one at Assembly Hall.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Texas against Sam Houston State
I’m not saying it’ll happen, but keep a look out for it. Without Myck Kabongo in the lineup as he waits for an eligibility ruling from the NCAA, the Longhorns are vulnerable. They lost to both USC and D-II Chaminade in Maui, then came back with a victory over a rebuilding Mississippi State team. Sam Houston kept it close in their opener against Arkansas, so we’ll see what happens.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Lehigh vs. Quinnipiac
QU was able to take Connecticut into double overtime a few weeks back, so can they channel that magic and beat Lehigh? C.J. McCollum, as always, is the focal point for Lehigh. He’s averaging 25.7 points per game on the year.
Five Things to Watch For:
1) James Michael McAdoo vs. Cody Zeller in the post is one of the better one-on-one match-ups we’ve seen so far this year. Preseason All-American vs. forward looking to have a breakout season. Both are expected to be lottery picks in the 2013 NBA draft. Zeller: 15.2 points, 7.7 rebounds. McAdoo: 16.8 points, 8.8 rebounds.
2) Michigan had a good showing in New York City in the NIT Tip-Off, but they have another test waiting for them with NC State. Couple of good match-ups in this one: Lorenzo Brown vs. Trey Burke, TJ Warren vs. Glenn Robinson III.
3) Can Minnesota carry its momentum from Atlantis back to the States? Gophers would like to have Andre Hollins back on track. He scored 41 points against Memphis, but then put up just eight on 1-of-8 shooting from the floor against Stanford.
4) Tulane takes on Loyola New Orleans. In and of itself it’s not a marquee game, but Tulane is headed to the Big East in all sports, as announced today, so expect no shortage of references to that during the broadcast.
5) The backcourt combination of Tray Woodall and James Robinson has been stellar for Pittsburgh. They take on Howard.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 18 NC State vs. No. 3 Michigan
Texas Southern vs. No. 19 Colorado
No. 21 Minnesota vs. Florida State
Other notable games:
Pittsburgh vs. Howard
Maryland vs. Northwestern
Iowa vs. Virginia Tech
Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 Canadian averaged 9.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per game last season.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Georgetown, Georgia Tech and Saint Joseph’s failed to make the cut for the New Jersey native.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Early favorite Maryland and reigning champion Wisconsin both open league play at home.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Williams’ arraignment on first degree suspicion of forgery charges was postponed until September 2.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Gabriel is a five-star prospect with offers from Kentucky and Duke.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Dambrot is the head coach at Akron.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Westbrook wasn’t a top 25 prospect in high school. He was a top three player in the NBA last year.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s the first preseason all-american team that we’ve seen this summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
Zeller handed out a warning. Michael McRobbie was a bit more upset.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:38 PM EDT
Frank Jackson will take an official visit to one of the four schools this weekend.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:31 PM EDT
Bryn Forbes scored 18 points to lead a balanced scoring attack for the Spartans.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Michael McRobbie’s address came two days after Emmitt Holt and Thomas Bryant were cited for illegal possession of alcohol.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT
Seton Hall AD said his coaches haven’t had to deal with negative recruiting re: cost of attendance stipends, but he’s ready to act if so.
Aug 26, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
Lauren Hill raised more than $1.8 million for pediatric cancer research before she passed away.
Aug 26, 2015, 12:06 PM EDT
Get a look at potential No. 1 pick Ben Simmons.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’s still the second-highest paid Pitino in the coaching world.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:51 AM EDT
A battle between Kentucky and Kansas headlines this event.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
There’s really nothing more important than that for a 10-year old boy.
Aug 25, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Class of 2016 point guard Jaylen Fisher had some great highlights this summer.
Aug 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Jakob Poeltl is a potential top-10 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, but he has to improve his 44 percent free-throw shooting.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)