Nov 27, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Game of the night: No. 14 North Carolina vs. No. 1 Indiana
This will be Indiana’s first big test of the season, after winning two games in Brooklyn and capturing the Legends Classic title. Of course, Georgetown (now ranked) is no slouch, but the Tar Heels offer some very good match-ups for IU. Take a look at “Five Things to Watch For” for the McAdoo-Zeller breakdown. Also keep an eye on Marcus Paige vs. Yogi Ferrell, two young guards matching up against each other. Should be a good one at Assembly Hall.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Texas against Sam Houston State
I’m not saying it’ll happen, but keep a look out for it. Without Myck Kabongo in the lineup as he waits for an eligibility ruling from the NCAA, the Longhorns are vulnerable. They lost to both USC and D-II Chaminade in Maui, then came back with a victory over a rebuilding Mississippi State team. Sam Houston kept it close in their opener against Arkansas, so we’ll see what happens.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Lehigh vs. Quinnipiac
QU was able to take Connecticut into double overtime a few weeks back, so can they channel that magic and beat Lehigh? C.J. McCollum, as always, is the focal point for Lehigh. He’s averaging 25.7 points per game on the year.
Five Things to Watch For:
1) James Michael McAdoo vs. Cody Zeller in the post is one of the better one-on-one match-ups we’ve seen so far this year. Preseason All-American vs. forward looking to have a breakout season. Both are expected to be lottery picks in the 2013 NBA draft. Zeller: 15.2 points, 7.7 rebounds. McAdoo: 16.8 points, 8.8 rebounds.
2) Michigan had a good showing in New York City in the NIT Tip-Off, but they have another test waiting for them with NC State. Couple of good match-ups in this one: Lorenzo Brown vs. Trey Burke, TJ Warren vs. Glenn Robinson III.
3) Can Minnesota carry its momentum from Atlantis back to the States? Gophers would like to have Andre Hollins back on track. He scored 41 points against Memphis, but then put up just eight on 1-of-8 shooting from the floor against Stanford.
4) Tulane takes on Loyola New Orleans. In and of itself it’s not a marquee game, but Tulane is headed to the Big East in all sports, as announced today, so expect no shortage of references to that during the broadcast.
5) The backcourt combination of Tray Woodall and James Robinson has been stellar for Pittsburgh. They take on Howard.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 18 NC State vs. No. 3 Michigan
Texas Southern vs. No. 19 Colorado
No. 21 Minnesota vs. Florida State
Other notable games:
Pittsburgh vs. Howard
Maryland vs. Northwestern
Iowa vs. Virginia Tech
Mar 31, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Lewis will have some well known suitors this offseason.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
Barnes spent the last 17 seasons at Texas.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
UConn, Notre Dame, South Carolina and Maryland make up the 2015 women’s Final Four.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Some great names highlight this list.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
Williams was the leading scorer and rebounder for the Tigers this season.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nebraska forward Walter Pitchford is giving up basketball for his senior season.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Xavier is losing a reserve guard to transfer.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Utah Valley has found its new head coach.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Chris Mullin will get a chance to restore glory at St. John’s.
Mar 30, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
George Mason makes a move to hire a new head coach.
Mar 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Who were the best players in the second-weekend of the NCAA tournament?
Mar 30, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Cincinnati gets Mick Cronin back.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Harrell and Rozier were both expected to head to the NBA.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
Izzo became the first coach to lead three teams seeded No. 5 or lower to the Final Four.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Lee will be a priority target during the offseason.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT
The Tar Heels should return every piece to its rotation next season, but what happens with the NCAA inquiry will have an impact as well.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Dekker was the best player in the second weekend of the event.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
There isn’t anything all that wrong with the AP’s list. The first team is perfect.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT
If you need to place a bet, here are the lines you’ll be working with.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
Neubauer was with Eastern Kentucky for 10 years and John Beilein for nine seasons before that.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 2
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)