Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
The gears of realignment continued to turn Tuesday, as Tulane and East Carolina will reportedly leave Conference USA and join the Big East in 2014, multiple outlets are now reporting.
According to reports, Tulane will join the conference in all sports, while East Carolina will be a football-only member.
Tulane has called an on-campus press conference for 2 p.m. Tuesday.
The move continues tohe trend of former C-USA schools coming to the Big East, becoming the fifth and sixth former members of Conference USA to join.
In basketball, the 2012 Big East tournament was historic because the championship game between Louisville and Cincinnati was the first time no original Big East members made it to the title game.
The Big East has been at the center of much of the national realignment picture, having watch Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Notre Dame bolt for the ACC, as well as Rutgers move to the Big Ten just last week.
Tulane and East Carolina join Memphis, Temple, Houston, Central Florida, Southern Methodist, San Diego State, Navy, and Boise State as the new members coming in varying capacities to fill the gaps left by major departures.
All of this movement comes at a critical time for the Big East, as commissioner Mike Aresco is helping to negotiate a new media deal for the conference.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)