Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
The gears of realignment continued to turn Tuesday, as Tulane and East Carolina will reportedly leave Conference USA and join the Big East in 2014, multiple outlets are now reporting.
According to reports, Tulane will join the conference in all sports, while East Carolina will be a football-only member.
Tulane has called an on-campus press conference for 2 p.m. Tuesday.
The move continues tohe trend of former C-USA schools coming to the Big East, becoming the fifth and sixth former members of Conference USA to join.
In basketball, the 2012 Big East tournament was historic because the championship game between Louisville and Cincinnati was the first time no original Big East members made it to the title game.
The Big East has been at the center of much of the national realignment picture, having watch Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Notre Dame bolt for the ACC, as well as Rutgers move to the Big Ten just last week.
Tulane and East Carolina join Memphis, Temple, Houston, Central Florida, Southern Methodist, San Diego State, Navy, and Boise State as the new members coming in varying capacities to fill the gaps left by major departures.
All of this movement comes at a critical time for the Big East, as commissioner Mike Aresco is helping to negotiate a new media deal for the conference.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)