Conference USA reportedly adds Middle Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic after Tulane, East Carolina departures
Nov 28, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
As the Big East quickly becomes the “New Conference USA,” the real C-USA is scrambling to fill in the gaps left by the sudden departures of its member schools.
After it was announced Tuesday that Tulane would join the Big East as a full member and East Carolina would make the same shift as a football-only school, Conference USA worked quickly to add Middle Tennessee State to its ranks, Harry Minium of The Virginian-Pilot is reporting.
The Middle Tennessee State move had been in realignment discussions before, with the school missing out on C-USA expansion that took place in the spring. At that time, the conference added six schools.
MTSU comes over from the Sun Belt and will become Conference USA’s 13th school. It’s likely that the conference is not done expanding, though.
Buzz has picked up that the C-USA is looking to add a 14th member, likely Florida Atlantic, also from the Sun Belt, or New Mexico State from the WAC.
Middle Tennessee State is 4-1 so far this basketball season under head coach Kermit Davis. Senior Marcos Knight leads the team with 12.4 points and has added 6.2 rebounds per game for the Blue Raiders.
UPDATE 28 November 2012, 1:41 p.m. ET
Brett McMurphy of ESPN.com is reporting that Florida Atlantic will join Middle Tennessee State in its move to Conference USA:
Middle Tennessee & Florida Atlantic leaving Sun Belt for Conference USA
— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) November 28, 2012
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)