Nov 28, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Game of the Night: No. 4 Ohio State vs. No. 2 Duke
Duke was impressive in the Battle 4 Atlantis and is certainly deserving of the No. 2 seed nationally. If it weren’t for the impressive performance by Indiana last night against North Carolina, one could even have made the case that they’re No. 1. Mason Plumlee and Seth Curry are key tonight, as is the Quinn Cook-Aaron Craft match-up at the point guard spot.
Deshaun Thomas has put up some gaudy numbers so far this season, but we’ll see what he’s able to do against Duke. In the Buckeyes’ closest contest this season, a double-digit win over Washington, Ohio State turned the ball over 17 times. They’ll need to make sure to limit turnovers as they have in other games to put themselves in the best position Wednesday night.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 24 UNLV against UC-Irvine
It’s a combination of factors in this game that could make for an upset for UCI. Firstly, Irvine nearly beat then-ranked UCLA in regulation, but a few key missed free throws pushed the game into overtime, where the Bruins ultimately prevailed. Secondly, UNLV showed in its loss to Oregon and its near-loss in an exhibition to Dixie State that the supremely talented youth it features can sometimes be its downfall. We could have a competitive game in Vegas tonight.
Mid-Major Match-up of the Night: Tulsa vs. Wichita State
Wichita State is undefeated and showed its toughness in an early-season with over Virginia Commonwealth this month. The Shockers also have two wins over BCS-conference schools–DePaul and Iowa. The Shockers are favored in this one, but I’m interested to see Danny Manning’s team as he continues his first year as the head coach of the Golden Hurricane.
Five Things to Watch For:
1) The Aaron Craft-Quinn Cook match-up at point guard will be important for the winner of Duke-Ohio State. Read some more about it in CBT’s ACC/Big Ten Challenge preview. Click here.
2) Doug McDermott has been who we expected him to be this season (21 points, 7.8 rebounds per game) but they face a pesky Boise State team Wednesday that came within four points of beating Michigan State. Boise does not rebound the ball particularly well, so it is McDermott’s time to take over.
3) West Virginia is off to a disappointing 1-3. They face high-scoring VMI Wednesday night. We’ll see what adjustments Bob Huggins has made to make sure his team doesn’t start out 1-4 in their first season as members of the Big 12.
4) Penn State lost star guard Tim Frazier for the season after he tore his Achilles tendon against Akron. In their first game without him, they narrowly defeated Bucknell. Tonight they have a shot at Boston College in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
5) With UCLA quickly fading into the background, Arizona is looking stronger and stronger in the Pac-12. Sean Miller’s team is 3-0, having won its last two games in dominating fashion. Expect another big-time performance tonight against Northern Arizona.
The Rest of the Top 25:
Northern Arizona at No. 9 Arizona
Boise State at No. 11 Creighton
No. 13 Michigan State at Miami
Georgia Tech at No. 22 Illinois
Mercer at No. 25 New Mexico
Other notable games:
Virginia at Wisconsin
VMI at West Virginia
Purdue at Clemson
Boston College at Penn State
Cal State Northridge at UCLA
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)