Nov 28, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Last night was the first night of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Michigan got a big home win against North Carolina State thanks to a huge performance from Trey Burke. In Bloomington, Indiana steamrolled over a flat North Carolina squad. Virginia Tech and Maryland were the lone ACC teams to win on night one.
But last night was also the first night of Jimmy-V Week. I was too young to remember Valvano as a coach, but the words he imparted on us during his legendary ESPYs speech has inspired and motivate me my entire life. I imagine that I’m not the only one whole feels the same way.
Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – Virginia @ Wisconsin
7:00 p.m. – William & Mary @ Richmond
7:00 p.m. – American @ St. Joseph’s
7:15 p.m. – Purdue @ Clemson
7:30 p.m. – No. 13 Michigan State @ Miami (FL)
8:00 p.m. – Oklahoma vs. Oral Roberts
8:00 p.m. – Tulsa @ Wichita State
8:00 p.m. – Utah @ SMU
8:05 p.m. – Boise State @ No. 11 Creighton
9:00 p.m. – Georgia Tech @ No. 22 Illinois
9:00 p.m. – Mercer @ No. 25 New Mexico
9:00 p.m. – Montana @ BYU
9:15 p.m. – Boston College @ Penn State
9:30 p.m. – No. 4 Ohio State @ No. 2 Duke
10:00 p.m. – Northern Arizona @ No. 9 Arizona
10:00 p.m. – UC-Irvine @ No. 24 UNLV
12:00 a.m. – Saint Louis @ Washington
Read of the Day:
Athlon Sports released their “Off the Record” survey from current college basketball players. Kim Kardashian is the hottest women alive apparently. Personally, I’d pick Upton or Good out of the group, but hey, that’s a debate for a rainy day. But make sure you read this. I do love me a good survey. (Athlon Sports)
Read of the Day:
Casual Hoya details how greed will destroy modern amateur athletics. Read it. (Casual Hoya)
Former-SDSU forward Tim Shelton makes best music video of the season: The former-Aztec is a talented hip-hop artist and released yet another Aztec anthem. This one, titled “Montezuma 55″ is legitimately good. Best music video I’ve seen all year.
North Carolina’s blowout loss at Indiana was far worse than just a blowout: The young Tar Heels looked out-matched. they looked like they had no business being on the same court as the Hoosiers. Marcus Paige is not Kendall Marshall, and James Michael McAdoo is not Tyler Hansbrough. This could be a very long season in Chapel Hill.
Michigan looked like a National Championship night in victory over NC-State: Trey Burke looked like an All-American and the Wolverines’ freshman stepped up large in a dominant win over the Wolfpack. Michigan led early and often, and was able to fight off a late rally to secure a very impressive early season victory.
ACC files lawsuit against Maryland: The Atlantic Coast Conference has filed a lawsuit against member school Maryland in a North Carolina court after the school’s announcement last week that it would leave the ACC for the Big Ten. The lawsuit is in regard to the $50-million exit fee the conference imposed on member schools earlier this year.
Tulane and East Carolina are joining the Big East: The Green Wave will become full-time members while the Pirates will join for football only. If all stays put, the Big East will have 10 former C-USA schools as big East members in 2014.
- Missouri’s Michael Dixon remains suspended for “a violation of team rules”. Steve Walentik has the graphic details of the rape accusations that were made against Dixon stemming from an August incident. (Columbia Tribune)
- Former-Washington Husky Doug Wrenn was convicted on Tuesday afternoon of harassing and cyber stalking a former girlfriend. (Seattle Times)
- Tulsa has placed Athletic Director Ross Parmley on paid administrative leave as the university investigates allegations of illegal sports gambling. (CBS Sports)
- Marquette guard Vander Blue is expected to play against Florida on Thursday after missing the Golden Eagles game on Monday against UMBC. (Fox Sports Wisconsin)
- SIU-Edwardsville forward Mark Yelovich is day-to-day with an ankle injury. (OVC Ball)
- After receiving X-rays on his surgically repaired foot, California sophomore Ricky Kreklow should be able to return soon, although he is doubtful for the Bears next game. (Bear Talk)
- Cleveland State’s Anton Grady will miss tonight’s game against Ball State because of a knee injury. (Cleveland State Hoops)
- UNLV freshman phenom Anthony Bennett may miss tonight’s game against UC-Irvine because of a lower back injury. (Las Vegas Sun)
- The NCAA has hired Val Ackerman as a consultant for women’s basketball. (Fox Sports)
Observations & Insight:
- The ACC will vote on expanding the conference later today, and it looks like if the ACC does expand, Louisville is going to get the nod. (ACC Sports Journal)
- North Carolina dispels rumors that it wants to join the Big Ten. (Sporting News)
- A stock report from the first night of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. (The Dagger)
- Mike DeCourcy doesn’t think the Tulane/Big East marriage will work, and I totally agree with him. (Sporting News)
- The WAC is desperately trying to stay afloat. After losing Denver on Monday, the conference has added Grand Canyon, a school most of us never knew existed. (Yahoo Sports)
- With Gorgui Dieng sidelined with a broken wrist, back-up center Stephen Van Treese is going to be called on to pick up the slack. Van Treese missed almost all of last season due to injury. (The Cardinal Connect)
- Jeff Borzello updates his Freshman of the Year rankings. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Dave Telep wonders if the hectic travel schedules of AAU basketball players is contributing to the recent outbreak in injuries among some the most elite high school players in the country. (ESPN Insider)
- Luke Winn provides his list of the top-16 best shooters in the country, now w/ more pictures. (Sports Illustrated)
- What is wrong with UCLA coach Ben Howland? An excellent read. (Bruins Nation)
- A quick look at the MAC power rankings. (Hustle Belt)
- I love lists like this: The All-Chicago Team. (Run The Floor)
Odds & Ends
- ICYMI, the lights did breifly go out at Assembly Hall during the Hoosiers rout of North Carolina last night. (The Big Lead)
- What has happened to our beloved Big East Conference? (Big East Hoops)
- Some expansion thoughts from a James Madison perspective. (JMU Sports Blog)
Dunk of the Day:
This dunk from Minnesota’s Rodney Williams is just silly. I wish I could do that. (Ballin’ is a Habit)
Video(s) of the Day:
Vermont got a quality non-conference road-win over a gutsy Harvard squad 85-78.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Jul 21, 2014, 11:43 PM EDT
DePaul redshirt freshman forward DeJuan Marrero will play his sophomore season at Chipola.
Malik Newman, Ivan Rabb, Jayson Tatum, Malik Monk among 33 members battling for USA U17 roster spots this week
Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The USA U17 tryouts have a lot of big names and it will also be important for the last week of the July live evaluation period.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Isaiah Briscoe helped lead the New Jersey Playaz to a title at Peach Jam.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Bruce Brown was a promising two-sport athlete, but gave up football to focus on basketball.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
Walker is the second commitment for the Cardinal this spring.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Seven additional thoughts on Nike’s Peach Jam, including Ben Simmons’ one weakness, Malik Monk and how college coaches look at parents
Jul 21, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
The whole situation regarding Jacksons recruitment is weird.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Tatum is the best player in the class.
Jul 21, 2014, 1:54 PM EDT
Seven thoughts from my time in Augusta
Jul 21, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
The Hoosiers will be in shape come September, that’s for sure.
Jul 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
The latest in our series of anonymous quotes from coaches on the players they recruit.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
Simmons is a much better passer than you’ll see in this video.
Jul 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
After playing sparingly last season, Lucas is hoping to take a significant step forward in 2014-15.
Jul 20, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Fans may look to compare Gary Payton II to his father, something both hope to avoid this season, but his role as point guard is an important one.
Jul 20, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Djambo’s playing time was unlikely to increase had he remained at Clemson, where he played 9.2 minutes per game last season.
Jul 20, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
McQuaid’s de-commitment leaves SMU with one verbal pledge in its 2015 recruiting class.
Jul 20, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Apparently there were some questions at the Peach Jam regarding the possibility of Simmons returning to Australia in 2015 to play professionally instead of attending LSU.
Jul 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Brown won Pac-12 Most Improved Player honors last season, helping lead the Cardinal to the Sweet 16.
Jul 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-4 Walker played just one season at Stony Brook.
Jul 20, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
It’s the second commit for Rick Pitino this week.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)