Nov 28, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Virginia sophomore guard Malcolm Brogdon will redshirt the 2012-13 season as he recovers from off-season foot surgery, Cavaliers’ coach Tony Bennett announced Wednesday.
“Malcolm is an important part of the program’s future, so the plan to redshirt him will allow for his foot to fully recover,” Bennett said in a statement. “He will continue to push hard in his recovery during this season.”
Brogdon, a native of Norcross, Ga., was a contributor during his freshman season, averaging 6.7 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for the Cavaliers. His best game of the season came in a 70-58 win over Michigan on Nov. 29, 2011, when he scored 16 points and grabbed five rebounds.
He underwent surgery on March 7 and has continued to work back, but had yet to play any minutes in the 2012-13 season.
Virginia is 4-2 so far on the year, having lost to Delaware and George Mason, but scoring victories over Fairfield, Seattle, Lamar, and North Texas.
The Cavaliers take on Wisconsin Wednesday night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
Oct 26, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
Indiana’s nine newcomers received their candy-striped warmup pants from former IU players Saturday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Pat Birt was a Horizon League All-Freshman Team selection at UIC last season.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Keifer Sykes is one of the best dunkers in America, and he was at it again Saturday afternoon.
Oct 25, 2014, 8:47 PM EDT
The intro video to Tom Izzo’s memorable entrance at “Michigan State Madness” Friday night.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
While head coach Gib Arnold released a statement saying that the school had yet to receive a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the administration is considering the option of self-imposing sanctions.
Oct 25, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
Byron Samuels already had a tough rebuilding job in front of him as a result of Florida A&M being hit with a postseason ban for low APR numbers.
Oct 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Mike Young has seen the Wofford men’s basketball program come a long way since he first joined the coaching staff back in 1989.
Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
A three-star commit on Friday night, a top-70 pledge on Saturday morning. This has been a big weekend for first-year head coach Mike Rhoades.
Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
A story from Syracuse.com says the first-year big man does up to 500 pushups daily.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
This is Danny Manning’s third commitment this month, first in the Class of 2016.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Davidson is gone, but that does not mean that the SoCon will be a bad basketball league.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Only three programs remain in contention for the nation’s top rated point guard.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Pretty good dunk, but still not better than Chris Mack’s entrance.
Oct 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
The Hall of Fame coach makes his first comments, several days after Kenneth Wainstein released his report.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)