Nov 29, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
According to Gabe DeArmond of PowerMizzou.com, suspended guard Michael Dixon’s career as a Tiger is over. NBCSports.com was able to confirm DeArmond’s report.
Dixon was suspended back in October, but it wasn’t until this week that the cause of the suspension started to leak out. In August, a woman accused Dixon of forcible rape, and while Dixon was never charged by police — there wasn’t enough evidence to press charges — he did have to face punishment from the university. You can read the entire account of the encounter here.
Without Dixon in the fold, getting Jabari Brown eligible becomes the most important part of the season for the Tigers. They have a lack of perimeter shooting right now, and Brown may actually be the best shooter in the program. He’ll be able to take the floor at the end of the semester.
(UPDATE: It’s now official.
“It’s been a challenging few months and while I appreciate the support of many in the Mizzou community including my coaches and teammates,” Dixon said in a statement, “it’s in the best interest of me, my family and the University of Missouri to finish my career elsewhere.”
The decision stems from a second rape allegation that surfaced on Thursday. From the KC Star:
According to a police report obtained Thursday by The Star, a woman who worked in the MU athletic department said she was sexually assaulted by Dixon on Jan. 9, 2010. The report, filed by the University of Missouri Police on Jan. 11, says the alleged assault took place at her apartment.
A source told The Star on Wednesday that the victim alerted former MU basketball coach Mike Anderson about the incident, who told her he would support her if she decided to press charges. She ultimately decided not to, the source said, because Dixon was a basketball player, and “she was afraid of what might happen.” According to the police report, she told detective Sam Easley on Jan. 21 that she did not want to prosecute in this case, and she did not want Dixon to be contacted regarding the case.
Dixon isn’t facing criminal charges in either case.)
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 0
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1