Nov 30, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
While college basketball world waits for 2013 recruits, Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, to pick a school for next year, the top sophomore in the nation is already prepared to make his choice.
Next Tuesday, Karl Towns (St. Joseph High/Metuchen, NJ) will announce his college choice from his high school. The 6-foot-11 Towns, who has offers from Duke, North Carolina State, Florida, and many others, but Kentucky is considered the favorite.
Towns spent the summer playing for John Calipari, as part of the Dominican Republic National Team. Last Friday, Towns was in Lexington for the Wildcats big win over LIU-Brooklyn.
On Friday, Towns sat down for an interview with MSGVarsity.com’s Larry Berger to talk about the upcoming decision. The sophomore center elected to make his college choice this early because of the stress the recruiting process was putting on him and his family.
“I think the decision had to come closer just so I can mostly focus on my high school career,” Towns told Berger.
Even though the common belief is that Towns will be the next big recruit for Big Blue Nation, he told Berger a decision had yet to be made. As of last week, Towns’ father had told Jason Jordan of USA Today that the UK rumors aren’t true.
Still Kentucky has to be presumed the favorite based on Towns’ previous history with Calipari, as well as taking a final visit to UK weeks before he makes his decision.
After Towns makes his decision on Dec. 4, more and more questions of whether or not he will reclassify to 2014 will come up. Two weeks ago, Ben Roberts of Kentucky.com pointed out that because of Towns’ high GPA, he could be able to reclassify. Reclassifying wouldn’t be a shocker, especially after four of 2014’s top players – Wiggins, Noah Vonleh, Wayne Selden, and Dakari Johnson – have all done so since the spring.
Town’s will make his decision at 1o a.m. on Tuesday
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)