Nov 30, 2012, 4:51 PM EST
While college basketball world waits for 2013 recruits, Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, to pick a school for next year, the top sophomore in the nation is already prepared to make his choice.
Next Tuesday, Karl Towns (St. Joseph High/Metuchen, NJ) will announce his college choice from his high school. The 6-foot-11 Towns, who has offers from Duke, North Carolina State, Florida, and many others, but Kentucky is considered the favorite.
Towns spent the summer playing for John Calipari, as part of the Dominican Republic National Team. Last Friday, Towns was in Lexington for the Wildcats big win over LIU-Brooklyn.
On Friday, Towns sat down for an interview with MSGVarsity.com’s Larry Berger to talk about the upcoming decision. The sophomore center elected to make his college choice this early because of the stress the recruiting process was putting on him and his family.
“I think the decision had to come closer just so I can mostly focus on my high school career,” Towns told Berger.
Even though the common belief is that Towns will be the next big recruit for Big Blue Nation, he told Berger a decision had yet to be made. As of last week, Towns’ father had told Jason Jordan of USA Today that the UK rumors aren’t true.
Still Kentucky has to be presumed the favorite based on Towns’ previous history with Calipari, as well as taking a final visit to UK weeks before he makes his decision.
After Towns makes his decision on Dec. 4, more and more questions of whether or not he will reclassify to 2014 will come up. Two weeks ago, Ben Roberts of Kentucky.com pointed out that because of Towns’ high GPA, he could be able to reclassify. Reclassifying wouldn’t be a shocker, especially after four of 2014’s top players – Wiggins, Noah Vonleh, Wayne Selden, and Dakari Johnson – have all done so since the spring.
Town’s will make his decision at 1o a.m. on Tuesday
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)