Nov 30, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
While college basketball world waits for 2013 recruits, Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, to pick a school for next year, the top sophomore in the nation is already prepared to make his choice.
Next Tuesday, Karl Towns (St. Joseph High/Metuchen, NJ) will announce his college choice from his high school. The 6-foot-11 Towns, who has offers from Duke, North Carolina State, Florida, and many others, but Kentucky is considered the favorite.
Towns spent the summer playing for John Calipari, as part of the Dominican Republic National Team. Last Friday, Towns was in Lexington for the Wildcats big win over LIU-Brooklyn.
On Friday, Towns sat down for an interview with MSGVarsity.com’s Larry Berger to talk about the upcoming decision. The sophomore center elected to make his college choice this early because of the stress the recruiting process was putting on him and his family.
“I think the decision had to come closer just so I can mostly focus on my high school career,” Towns told Berger.
Even though the common belief is that Towns will be the next big recruit for Big Blue Nation, he told Berger a decision had yet to be made. As of last week, Towns’ father had told Jason Jordan of USA Today that the UK rumors aren’t true.
Still Kentucky has to be presumed the favorite based on Towns’ previous history with Calipari, as well as taking a final visit to UK weeks before he makes his decision.
After Towns makes his decision on Dec. 4, more and more questions of whether or not he will reclassify to 2014 will come up. Two weeks ago, Ben Roberts of Kentucky.com pointed out that because of Towns’ high GPA, he could be able to reclassify. Reclassifying wouldn’t be a shocker, especially after four of 2014’s top players – Wiggins, Noah Vonleh, Wayne Selden, and Dakari Johnson – have all done so since the spring.
Town’s will make his decision at 1o a.m. on Tuesday
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)