Nov 30, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Tonny Trocha-Morelos was one of the more intriguing prospects back in the spring and summer, with some of the nation’s better programs taking a look in hopes of getting the native of Colombia to commit.
The recruitment of Trocha came to an end on Thursday, as it was reported by the Texas A&M program that Trocha signed with Texas A&M. Trocha joins forwards Davonte Fitzgerald and Tavario Miller in the Aggies’ 2013 class.
But here’s the question: could Trocha join the program at some point this season and play?
Multiple outlets have raised the possibility of Trocha being able to join the program for the spring semester, and if that were to happen the Aggies would be adding a 6-10 center capable of helping the Aggies from a depth standpoint.
Billy Kennedy’s team is currently 5-1 on the season, but even though the Aggies do have bodies inside (led by Ray Turner and Kourtney Roberson) this is a group that’s struggled some on the boards. Texas A&M ranks 13th in the SEC in defensive rebounding percentage (62.0%) and 7th in rebounding margin (plus-1.8).
Trocha, who averaged a double-double (16.0 ppg, 10.2 rpg) for the Colombian U-18 national team at the FIBA Americas tournament during the summer, would be a welcome addition if he were able to play this season due to those rebounding issues.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (43)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)