Dec 1, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
As soon as the news of Rick Majerus’ death at age 64 hit Twitter, personal stories of the man’s kindness, humor and foibles began to pour out into the community at large. In honor of one of our all-time favorite college basketball coaches, we’ll share some of the best.
— Cody Ellis (@codyellis24) December 2, 2012
I don’t have many true friends–guys who would do anything for you–but Rick Majerus was one of them. I can’t believe he’s gone.
— Gene Wojciechowski (@GenoEspn) December 2, 2012
Rick Majerus: Midnight coaching bull session at diner with salt & pepper shakers as the X’s & O’s–& double-order of onion rings, of course.
— Fran Fraschilla (@franfraschilla) December 2, 2012
I’ll never forget that Rick Majerus gave me a biography of Roberto Clemente for my 18th birthday. Such a caring person.
— Ben Weixlmann (@BWeixScout) December 2, 2012
so many memories in 25 years of friendship with #rickmajerus. only coach to buy me ribs and send me flowers.
— Beth Harris (@bethharrisap) December 2, 2012
Rick Majerus told me he found several blacks in Utah to convince Andre Miller‘s mom it wasn’t all white. RIP.
— Shaun Powell (@Powell2daPeople) December 2, 2012
For man obsessed with basketball, Rick Majerus had a vast intellectual curiousity. Interviews often strayed far afield. Fascinating man. RIP
— Jeff Gordon (@gordoszone) December 2, 2012
“When you’re like me, you understand one thing: close only counts at the drive-in.” – Rick Majerus
— The Mid-Majority (@midmajority) December 2, 2012
Quoting Rick Majerus: “Never marry a beautiful woman. A beautiful woman will leave you. An ugly woman will leave you, too, but so what?”
— Marlen Garcia (@MarlenGarcia777) December 2, 2012
Thoughts & prayers to Rick Majerus & his family. Sad to hear of his passing today.
— Steve Prohm (@CoachProhm) December 2, 2012
#Majerus said about me at bball camp: “You guys need to work hard, like this guy. He’s horrible at basketball but he works REALLY hard!”
— Kristian Odland (@kreshjun) December 2, 2012
Awful news about Rick Majerus. They don’t make ‘em like that these days. But they didn’t make ‘em like that before, either. One of a kind.
— Michael Rosenberg (@Rosenberg_Mike) December 2, 2012
Once heard Rick Majerus speak for an hour on ball screens. Best clinic speech I ever heard. Basketball genius. He will be truly missed. RIP
— Ben Wilkins (@CoachWilkinsMSM) December 2, 2012
Very sorry to hear about Coach Majerus. I was one of the lucky ones that learned from his basketball genius. #Majerus
— Tommy Connor (@coachtconnor) December 2, 2012
RIP Rick Majerus. Too soon. Rick loved the game. Not just what he got from the game, or who he was in the game. He just loved the game.
— Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) December 2, 2012
Really tough to see Doc Rivers’ emotions while speaking abt Rick Majerus’ death. He’s visibly shaken by loss of the man who named him “Doc.”
— Marc D’Amico (@Marc_DAmico) December 2, 2012
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)