Dec 2, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
When you have a highly-touted prospect in your backyard it’s very important to keep that player home. Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford accomplished that mission last week, as Douglass HS (Oklahoma City) point guard Stevie Clark sent in his Letter of Intent to the school.
Clark sent in his letter before the November 21 fall signing period deadline but held off on making the decision public until Friday.
Landing Clark pushes Oklahoma State’s 2013 class to five players, an important number when considering the fact that in addition to having three seniors there could also be NBA Draft questions for both Le’Bryan Nash and Marcus Smart.
“Stevie is not only one of the best high school players to ever play in the state of Oklahoma, but he is also an excellent student,” Oklahoma State head coach Travis Ford said in a statement released by the school on Friday.
“He’s one of the top guards in the country. He gets a lot of publicity for how he can score the basketball, but he is also a great passer and a great ball handler. He’s a winner. His team has won three state championships, and are looking forward to trying to win a fourth.”
The Cowboys have two four-star guards in their 2013 class, as LaPorte, Indiana shooting guard Detrick Mostella has also signed a Letter of Intent. Mostella and Clark are joined by small forwards Jeffrey Carroll and Leyton Hammonds and Brevard College center Gary Gaskins.
Clark averaged 25 points and 11 assists per game for the Douglass Trojans last season, and his ability to make things happen with his speed will be a welcome addition to the Cowboy offense.
Oklahoma State beat out UCLA and Baylor for Clark’s services, as the comforts of home proved to be one of the reasons why Clark decided to become a Cowboy.
“I love Oklahoma,” Clark said. “I’m an Oklahoma kid. OSU is just up the street, not too far away. If I want to come home for church or watch my little brother play football, I can do that. I’m big on family. That was part of my decision.”
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 6
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 1
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)