Dec 2, 2012, 3:18 PM EST
K.J. McDaniels scored 16 points and Rod Hall had 15 more to lead Clemson over South Carolina, 64-55, in the intrastate battle for the Palmetto State Sunday afternoon.
On a day that has been without any Top 25 games, the Tigers-Gamecocks match-up provided one of the more noteworthy storylines of the early set of games.
Clemson, now 5-2, forced 19 turnovers and was +15 in free throw attempts to get the win over Frank Martin’s team.
The Tigers led by just one point at halftime, but a 13-2 run by Clemson in the early part of the second half expanded the lead to eight points with just over 11 minutes to play.
South Carolina, which shot just 35 percent from the floor, had three scorers in double figures. Brenton Williams (16 points), Bruce Ellington (12 points), and Mindaugas Kacinas (10 points) all came off the bench, but played starter’s minutes.
The Gamecocks fall to 5-3 and have lost two games in a row.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)