Dec 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Team of the Week: Boise State Broncos
Boise State was supposed to finish near the bottom of the Mountain West this season. With powerhouse programs like UNLV, San Diego State and New Mexico populating the top of the league and teams like Colorado State and Nevada around to occupy the middle of the league, there really wasn’t much space for a Boise State team that looked to still be a year away from relevancy to climb.
It looks like we’re going to have to make space now, as Boise State put together one of the more impressive performances of the young season as they went into Omaha and smacked around a very good Creighton team. (For what it’s worth, Creighton was up by 32 in the first half against St. Joseph’s in their next game.) The Broncos have a slew of good perimeter players — led by Derrick Marks, who had 35 against Creighton, and Anthony Drmic — and shoot a lot of threes, which makes them a dangerous team when those threes start dropping.
The reason to keep an eye on this team, however, is that the Creighton win isn’t their only win of the season. Boise is now 6-1 on the season, with their only loss coming by four at Michigan State.
Teams Deserving of a Shoutout
- Baylor Bears: The Bears bounced back from a rough start to the season in the biggest of ways: by going into Rupp Arena and knocking off the Kentucky Wildcats, 64-55. The Bears put all five starters in double figures, led by 17 from Pierre Jackson. Now here’s the question that we need answered: which is the real Baylor team? The one that lost at home to Charleston, or the one that beat Kentucky in Lexington. And given the fact that Baylor won despite turning the ball over 19 times and getting just five points from their bench, is this really a sign of Baylor’s strength or Kentucky early-season struggles? Regardless, asking what a win really means is a much, much better conversation to have than discussing how bad a loss is.
- Minnesota Golden Gophers: Might the Gophers be for real? After putting together a pretty impressive performance out in the Bahamas, the Gophers went straight to Tallahassee, where they worked over Florida State. After a win over North Florida on Saturday night, Minnesota is now 8-1 on the season. The best news of all? They are doing it while Trevor Mbakwe is still a shell of his former self.
- Miami Hurricanes: In Durand Scott’s first game back, the Hurricanes beat a good Detroit team by 15 points. Three nights later, when Michigan State came to town, the Canes won again, proving it wasn’t coincidence. They followed that up with a trip to Amherst, MA, where they beat UMass by 13 points. With Shane Larkin and Trey McKinney-Jones playing well, this looks like a team that could end up finishing in the top three in the ACC if NC State and UNC continue to struggle.
- Wichita State Shockers: The Shockers continue to put together an impressive non-conference schedule. In addition to wins over Iowa and at VCU, Wichita State knocked off Tulsa this week and then went to Air Force and beat a 6-2 Falcon team on their home floor. The Shockers are now the only undefeated team left in the Missouri Valley.
- Wyoming Cowboys: Boise State isn’t the only MWC surprising people early in the season. Wyoming is as well. After rolling through seven their first seven games, the Cowboys finally had a chance to make a statement, and they did just that against Colorado. Leonard Washington had 22 points, seven boards, four assists, three blocks and two steals in the win.
- Who else was good?: Cincinnati, Virginia, Notre Dame, Florida, Maryland
Apr 28, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Jarreau started 21 games as a junior.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
Brandon Ingram’s decision to bypass UNC and go to Duke should worry the folks in Chapel Hill.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Yeah, exactly what it says in the headline.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:17 AM EDT
Rector was a three-star recruit coming out of high school.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Rutgers added a potential starter for next season on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
N.C. State landed a surprise commitment from an athletic 2015 forward on Monday night.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
The NCAA is considering moving the shot clock to 30 seconds in men’s basketball.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida guard Eli Carter will transfer.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Duke picked up its second major commitment in recent weeks with the addition of five-star wing Brandon Ingram.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Here’s seven takeaways from a busy weekend at the three shoe company events.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
Brandon Ingram is a top five recruit in the class.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Tatum might be the best player in the Class of 2016.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
It will feature a preseason top five team.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Who were the biggest losers of the early entry deadline?
Apr 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Which potential draft picks returning to school will be the most influential in 2015-16?
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Hatch is one of the most inspirational people you will ever hear about
Apr 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The return of Buddy Hield pushes previously unranked Oklahoma into our way too early rankings.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Who’s going pro? Who’s returning to school? Who are we still waiting to hear from?
Apr 26, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Collins averaged 7.1 points and 5.2 assists per game last season, and his arrival could lead to Alex Caruso getting more scoring opportunities off the ball.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Robinson has quite the rebuilding job on his hands, but guard LeAntwan Luckett (16.3 ppg) is one of the team’s top four scorers who have eligibility remaining.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 2
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)