Dec 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Team of the Week: Boise State Broncos
Boise State was supposed to finish near the bottom of the Mountain West this season. With powerhouse programs like UNLV, San Diego State and New Mexico populating the top of the league and teams like Colorado State and Nevada around to occupy the middle of the league, there really wasn’t much space for a Boise State team that looked to still be a year away from relevancy to climb.
It looks like we’re going to have to make space now, as Boise State put together one of the more impressive performances of the young season as they went into Omaha and smacked around a very good Creighton team. (For what it’s worth, Creighton was up by 32 in the first half against St. Joseph’s in their next game.) The Broncos have a slew of good perimeter players — led by Derrick Marks, who had 35 against Creighton, and Anthony Drmic — and shoot a lot of threes, which makes them a dangerous team when those threes start dropping.
The reason to keep an eye on this team, however, is that the Creighton win isn’t their only win of the season. Boise is now 6-1 on the season, with their only loss coming by four at Michigan State.
Teams Deserving of a Shoutout
- Baylor Bears: The Bears bounced back from a rough start to the season in the biggest of ways: by going into Rupp Arena and knocking off the Kentucky Wildcats, 64-55. The Bears put all five starters in double figures, led by 17 from Pierre Jackson. Now here’s the question that we need answered: which is the real Baylor team? The one that lost at home to Charleston, or the one that beat Kentucky in Lexington. And given the fact that Baylor won despite turning the ball over 19 times and getting just five points from their bench, is this really a sign of Baylor’s strength or Kentucky early-season struggles? Regardless, asking what a win really means is a much, much better conversation to have than discussing how bad a loss is.
- Minnesota Golden Gophers: Might the Gophers be for real? After putting together a pretty impressive performance out in the Bahamas, the Gophers went straight to Tallahassee, where they worked over Florida State. After a win over North Florida on Saturday night, Minnesota is now 8-1 on the season. The best news of all? They are doing it while Trevor Mbakwe is still a shell of his former self.
- Miami Hurricanes: In Durand Scott’s first game back, the Hurricanes beat a good Detroit team by 15 points. Three nights later, when Michigan State came to town, the Canes won again, proving it wasn’t coincidence. They followed that up with a trip to Amherst, MA, where they beat UMass by 13 points. With Shane Larkin and Trey McKinney-Jones playing well, this looks like a team that could end up finishing in the top three in the ACC if NC State and UNC continue to struggle.
- Wichita State Shockers: The Shockers continue to put together an impressive non-conference schedule. In addition to wins over Iowa and at VCU, Wichita State knocked off Tulsa this week and then went to Air Force and beat a 6-2 Falcon team on their home floor. The Shockers are now the only undefeated team left in the Missouri Valley.
- Wyoming Cowboys: Boise State isn’t the only MWC surprising people early in the season. Wyoming is as well. After rolling through seven their first seven games, the Cowboys finally had a chance to make a statement, and they did just that against Colorado. Leonard Washington had 22 points, seven boards, four assists, three blocks and two steals in the win.
- Who else was good?: Cincinnati, Virginia, Notre Dame, Florida, Maryland
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
Former Illinois women’s basketball players file lawsuit against athletic director, head coach and former assistant
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
AD Mike Thomas stated in May that there would be an investigation into the allegations.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT
KD, Stephen and Russ lead the way, and two of those three weren’t even ranked coming out of high school.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Cal already has two members of its 2015 class on campus, and they added another to the mix Wednesday.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
He’s currently teammates with a soon-to-be Oregon Duck. Hmm …
Jul 1, 2015, 1:53 PM EDT
That makes three commitments in 24 hours for Cincinnati.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Terrence Samuel was recruited over at UConn.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 AM EDT
Kansas is in South Korea repping the USA in the World University Games.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino gave his take on the situation surrounding Jarvis Johnson.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Missouri is missing sophomore forward Montaque Gill-Caesar from summer workouts.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia has some talented backcourt pieces committed in the 2016 class.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Kansas head coach Bill Self had the jumper going before practice in South Korea.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Cincinnati landed a big man target right before the July live period.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
Shaka Smart landed the brother of a recent NBA draft pick.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Should I mention he throws the ball off the backboard to himself?
Jun 30, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
One of the best passers in the Class of 2016, Howard Washington, committed to Butler on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Rick Barnes spoke publicly for the first time about accusations levied against Texas.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
A very weak class has some decent guards.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)