Dec 3, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Team of the Week: Boise State Broncos
Boise State was supposed to finish near the bottom of the Mountain West this season. With powerhouse programs like UNLV, San Diego State and New Mexico populating the top of the league and teams like Colorado State and Nevada around to occupy the middle of the league, there really wasn’t much space for a Boise State team that looked to still be a year away from relevancy to climb.
It looks like we’re going to have to make space now, as Boise State put together one of the more impressive performances of the young season as they went into Omaha and smacked around a very good Creighton team. (For what it’s worth, Creighton was up by 32 in the first half against St. Joseph’s in their next game.) The Broncos have a slew of good perimeter players — led by Derrick Marks, who had 35 against Creighton, and Anthony Drmic — and shoot a lot of threes, which makes them a dangerous team when those threes start dropping.
The reason to keep an eye on this team, however, is that the Creighton win isn’t their only win of the season. Boise is now 6-1 on the season, with their only loss coming by four at Michigan State.
Teams Deserving of a Shoutout
- Baylor Bears: The Bears bounced back from a rough start to the season in the biggest of ways: by going into Rupp Arena and knocking off the Kentucky Wildcats, 64-55. The Bears put all five starters in double figures, led by 17 from Pierre Jackson. Now here’s the question that we need answered: which is the real Baylor team? The one that lost at home to Charleston, or the one that beat Kentucky in Lexington. And given the fact that Baylor won despite turning the ball over 19 times and getting just five points from their bench, is this really a sign of Baylor’s strength or Kentucky early-season struggles? Regardless, asking what a win really means is a much, much better conversation to have than discussing how bad a loss is.
- Minnesota Golden Gophers: Might the Gophers be for real? After putting together a pretty impressive performance out in the Bahamas, the Gophers went straight to Tallahassee, where they worked over Florida State. After a win over North Florida on Saturday night, Minnesota is now 8-1 on the season. The best news of all? They are doing it while Trevor Mbakwe is still a shell of his former self.
- Miami Hurricanes: In Durand Scott’s first game back, the Hurricanes beat a good Detroit team by 15 points. Three nights later, when Michigan State came to town, the Canes won again, proving it wasn’t coincidence. They followed that up with a trip to Amherst, MA, where they beat UMass by 13 points. With Shane Larkin and Trey McKinney-Jones playing well, this looks like a team that could end up finishing in the top three in the ACC if NC State and UNC continue to struggle.
- Wichita State Shockers: The Shockers continue to put together an impressive non-conference schedule. In addition to wins over Iowa and at VCU, Wichita State knocked off Tulsa this week and then went to Air Force and beat a 6-2 Falcon team on their home floor. The Shockers are now the only undefeated team left in the Missouri Valley.
- Wyoming Cowboys: Boise State isn’t the only MWC surprising people early in the season. Wyoming is as well. After rolling through seven their first seven games, the Cowboys finally had a chance to make a statement, and they did just that against Colorado. Leonard Washington had 22 points, seven boards, four assists, three blocks and two steals in the win.
- Who else was good?: Cincinnati, Virginia, Notre Dame, Florida, Maryland
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Gonzaga has one of its deepest teams of all time and the Bulldogs are challenging themselves with a difficult non-conference schedule.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Bradley forward Auston Barnes has been charged with misdemeanor domestic battery following an August arrest.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt and head coach Jamie Dixon no longer hold a commitment from a former 2016 recruit.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
A three-star forward has four schools that are heavily involved.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Matt McQuaid can really light it up from the perimeter.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Thought the recent debate about USA Basketball and advantages gained by college coaches was getting tiresome?
Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Fortune Magazine has the Krzyzewski and Staley ranked 20th (along with San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich) on the list.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
The NCAA is hoping to have two lawsuits dismissed, with the plaintiffs in those suits arguing otherwise. And three U.S. senators voiced their displeasure with the lack of progress being made by the NCAA.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Lorenzo Romar spoke positively of Robert Upshaw’s progress, and with the Huskies’ lack of interior depth the Fresno State transfer will be a key figure this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)